Letting Down Our Guard

"We surrender."

The terrified voice of Impulse was music to Ren's ears. A traitor finally brought to his knees, a Crastle finally given a king. Cleo and Bdubs were behind him, standing in fearful silence.

Ren let the quiet moment draw out, making the prisoners more and more nervous. He debated whether to execute all three of them or just the traitor.

"Should we take them down to the dungeon?" Martyn asked, trying to be intimidating but really just sounding ridiculous.

Ren facepalmed. "Dang it, Martyn!" he said. "You broke my dramatic pondering!"

"Sorry," Martyn muttered, half grinning.

Ren turned to Skiz, Etho, and Bigb, lesser ranking soldiers, but soldiers all the same. "What say you? What should be their fate?"

"Uh," Bigb said helpfully.

"Destroy them!" Skiz yelled passionately, bringing fresh delicious fear back to the Crastle Alliance's faces. "Burn them at the stake and throw their ashes into a lava pit!"

"I gotta say, I kinda like that," Ren said.

"Yeah!" Skiz cheered.

"Kill Impulse, keep the others alive as bait," Etho said. "They'll bring Scott and the Desert Duo here for rescue soon enough."

Ren nodded, considering both ideas.

"If I may, Your Majesty," Martyn said. "The 'Uh' idea sounds like the smartest option."

Ren laughed. "Let's take this somewhere else," he said. "We will discuss this. Skiz, Etho, Bigb... guard the prisoners."

The three soldiers nodded and pointed their swords at the Crastle citizens.

Ren led Martyn up into Renchanting, where they could discuss this in more privacy. "I think the bait idea is the best one."

"Etho's pretty smart," Martyn agreed. "We should trust his plan."

"But can I trust any of them, after what Impulse did?" Ren said, mostly to himself.

"I don't think we have any other choice," Martyn said. "If they choose to leave the Army, we can hunt them down and give them what they deserve."

Ren nodded. "Etho's plan it is, then," he said. "Kill Impulse. Threaten filthy sand hippies and Scott. Get banner. Win war for good."

Martyn pumped his fist.

Ren strode out of Renchanting and to the entrance, where the prisoners were still being guarded. "Bring Cleo and Bdubs down to the basement," he said. "They'll be kept alive for now."

There was a brief silence as Impulse realized he was not included.

"Please," he said desperately. "I'm sorry. I'll do anything!"

"Should we take him to the platform and show him what happens to traitors?" Skiz asked eagerly.

"He's not worthy to die on those stones," Ren growled. "We kill him here."

"Who's gonna do it?" Bigb asked. "I'd rather not do it."

Ren looked at Martyn.

"Me?" Martyn asked.

"Go for it," Ren asked, as if suggesting he go mining or farm trees.

"I'll do anything!" Impulse begged, more urgently. "Please, no! I'll help you get that banner back! I'll... I'll kill Scar! I'll do anything..." He was crying now, crystal tears streaming down his face and dripping from his chin.