12

THEODORE - November 1998

"Mister Nott? Are you done with your paper?"

Don't you just hate when people drag you out of your thoughts? When you're so lost in them, asking yourself so many questions that your brain might explode? Well, I hate that. I love being in my own bubble, able to think about anything and everything.

I clear my throat, "Sorry, Professor Sinistra. I'll be done in a minute."

Before focusing back on the piece of parchment laid out in front of me on the desk, my eyes meet Celeste's.

She's sitting a few rows in front of me, next to Dean. Her head is turned so she can look at me. Her cheeks are slightly red, but I don't know if it's from her giggling too much with Dean or if it's because of me staring at her.

I can't look away from her. No matter how hard I try. My eyes linger on her long silky hair falling down onto her back, on her soft hands grabbing her quill, on her lips slightly curving up every time Dean says something to her.

Celeste sends me a small smile before turning back to her paper.

"What is wrong with you?" Mumbles Blaise, sitting next to me, his eyes following his hand writing down the answers to the assignment.

"Nothing." I sigh, letting my gaze fall on my Astronomy paper.

"You're a bad liar, you know that?"

Before I can reply to Blaise, I see Celeste stand up and hand her paper to Mrs. Sinistra. I quickly put my quill and textbook in my backpack and stand up to hand in my paper as well.

I've been done with it for ten minutes. I was just waiting on Celeste.

"Cel." I rush after her in the crowded corridor.

"I'm kind of in a rush, Theo." She tells me, her pace quickening up and looking ahead of her.

"You are?" I frown down at her.

She glances at me with those big honey eyes. "Yes. I'll see you later."

I watch her walk away. I lean against a wall, letting my forehead fall against the bricks.

"Fuck." I mutter to myself, closing my eyes.

Two weeks.

It's been two weeks since Celeste and I slept together. It's also been two weeks of pure torture since Celeste keeps avoiding me.

My mind can't stop replaying every flashbacks I have of our night. Her soft hands on my skin, her lips latching onto my neck and grazing against my sweet spot. I can't stop thinking about her, and it kills me that she won't talk to me.

I know she will come around. Ignorance and denial is her way of coping with reality. I've known her ever since we were kids, and she's always been like this. She's scared of something, and that's why she's avoiding me.

But I will find out what it is that frightens her. There is no way in hell that I'm letting her slip away. I'm so close to having her, to call her mine.

***

December 1997

"Pansy, have you seen Celeste?"

Pansy shakes her head, "No. I haven't seen her since lunch. Is she okay?"

My jaw clenches, "I'm not sure. I'll go look for her."

I march towards the door of the common room but Pansy's voice stops me. "Theo. Thank you for being there for her. And for me, and Blaise."