18

THEODORE - February 1999

"Got yourself a secret admirer?"

Her sweet voice sends shivers down my spine. When I look up at Celeste, she's leaning her shoulder against the doorframe of my dorm, arms folded across her chest.

My eyes rake her frame from head to toe. White blouse, short black skirt paired up with a leather jacket and high boots. Her caramel hair is running down her back.

"Going on a date?" I ask as I take a seat on the edge of my bed.

Celeste walks in, looking around to make sure I'm alone. I nod at her, indicating the coast is clear.

Draco is already meeting with Astoria, and Blaise is being Blaise. We never really know where he is.

"I asked the question first." Her eyebrows arche up as she takes slow strides towards me.

Her eyes flick to the heart-shaped chocolate box on my nightstand.

"Briana." I roll my eyes and toss the card onto Blaise's bed.

"Be careful." She chuckles, "The chocolates might be laced with Amortentia."

I emit a small snort, "It wouldn't surprise me."

She stands in front of me with a hint of amusement in her eyes, "She's still trying to get back with you, huh?"

My hands find the back of her bare thighs to pull her closer to me. She stands in between my parted legs and looks down at me, her cheeks flushing and eyes sparkling.

"I have you. It's all that counts." My lips turn up into a smile. Celeste's forefinger grazes against my dimple before locking both of her hands behind my neck.

Celeste licks her lips, "She can give you more than I ever could."

My smile drops as my heart does. My eyebrows crease in confusion as my eyes saunter over her angelic face. "Don't say that."

"You know it's true." Her voice comes out as timid and insecure.

My hands drop from her legs as I push myself up. My body hovers hers as we stare deeply into each other's eyes.

"Stop it, Cel." I snap at her, my eyes quickly flicking behind her head where the door is still agape. I lower my voice, "Why do you always do that?"

"Do what?" She looks away, her arms crossing over her frame.

"It's going great between us two, don't you think? We're in a good place, being just the two of us. But somehow, it's always one step forward and three steps back with you."

Her eyebrows shoot up at my outburst. Her honey eyes flicker between mine. Specks of golden brim her hues, making them appear like she's been exposed to a shower of stars now dancing in her gaze.

I pass a hand through my hair and chuckle dryly, "Stop being self-conscious. I don't even know how many times I have told you that it's you that I want."

Celeste closes her eyes and shakes slightly her head from left to right, "I'm sorry. I just–"

"I don't get why you keep running away. Avoiding me? Practically telling me to ditch you to date Briana Anderson? You're being delusional."

Her next words send my mind into overdrive as though I can't believe what she says. "I just want what's best for you, Theo. I don't think I can make you happy."

My heart drops. Why does it hurt so fucking much?

A dry chuckle escapes my lips once again, "You don't get it, do you?"