20

THEODORE - February 1999

"Is either one of you going to say something or do I have to use Legimilency?"

My gaze meets Draco's burning one. I'm sitting on my bed, elbows propped on top of my thighs as a hand clutches a tissue to my bloody nose.

Everything happened so fast.

Draco saw Celeste in our bathroom. As soon as his eyes landed on the purple marks over her skin, his eyes met mine. Next thing I knew, he punched me square in the nose and I lunged back at him, pinning him to a wall.

Now, Celeste is dressed in a shirt of mine. She's sitting on my desk chair, arms crossed over her chest. Her eyebrows shoot up when Draco looks at her.

He holds a bag of frozen peas we snatched from the kitchen to his bruised cheekbone.

"What do you want us to say?" Celeste snaps at him.

"How long have you two been fucking?" Pain can be heard in his voice. It wavers as he speaks, "How long have you been hiding this from me?"

"I don't know..." She seems to think. Her eyebrows furrow and I watch her bite her bottom lip. Red and purple marks are still on display upon her skin and I can't help but smirk at the sight of them.

"October." She replies nonchalantly.

"October?" Draco roars, standing up before lunging at me again.

I anticipate and grab the collar of his shirt, pushing him back on his own bed. "Calm down." I spit at him.

If looks could kill, I'd already be dead by now.

"Fine."

He props himself up on his elbows as he watches Celeste. His face drops again. "How could you do this to me?" His gaze meets mine.

I don't know who the question is aimed to, but Celeste speaks up before I can.

"You can't be serious, Draco." A dry chuckle escapes her mouth. She shakes her head as she stands up, her pointer finger directed at Draco's chest. "You don't get to be upset."

"Of course I get to." Draco is now up on his feet. There's distance between them. I want to stand in front of Celeste, but I stay put. "My best friend—" he glances at me, "—is fucking my ex-girlfriend."

"It's more than fucking." The words slip away from my mouth too quickly.

Draco laughs shallowly, "So what? You two are in love? That's fucking marvellous."

"I don't owe you shit, Draco." Celeste's tone is harsh. We both watch her take a stride towards him. "All whilst you were trying to get back with me, you were already fucking Astoria."

"Well— I—"

"We don't owe you anything." She spits at him, "You don't get to be mad at me for seeing Theo. Because you have been doing the exact same thing and yet you can't see where the problem is."

A beat passes.

"I'm sorry."

"Are you?" Her eyes flicker between his, "And you don't get to be mad at Theo either. The only reason we hid it from you was to avoid your bullshit."

Celeste's chest heaves up and down as she stares at Draco. He keeps searching for his words as his mouth opens before closing back.

He looks at me. Pain is evident on his face as if we had just stabbed him in the heart, "It would have never happened if I hadn't asked you to be there for her in the first place."