22

THEODORE - April 1999

"She told you?"

Having a conversation with someone who used to be your friend is always awkward.

Atlas Williams and I haven't spoken in ages. Apart from simple greetings in the corridors, amical pats on each other's backs after Quidditch games, a full conversation involving more than three words hasn't occurred in a long time.

Yet, here we are, sitting at the end of the Slytherin table, eating lunch and exchanging more than three words.

I nod and take a sip of water, "About a month ago."

Celeste is obviously the center of our attention.

Atlas has always been protective over his twin sister. Wether it was in terms of friendship or romance, Atlas would always be the first one to warn Celeste about her newly made relationships.

You would think it's a toxic behaviour; to always tell your sibling what to do or what to say. It can be suffocating, but in the end, he's only doing it out of love.

Atlas came up to me about two weeks after I confessed my feelings to Celeste. Did I expect him to press his wand to my throat and threaten to kill me if I ever hurt his sister? Yes.

But instead, he wrapped his arms around my shoulders and thanked me for being there for her.

"You make her happy. I can see it. She deserves to be happy and I can't express how grateful I am for you. Thank you, Nott. Really."

"Did she say it back?" Atlas asks, snapping me back to reality. His eyebrows are raised as he flickers his eyes back and forth between mine.

I shake my head, my heart sinking deeper inside my chest, "I'll wait for her to be ready."

"Give her some time." He sends me a small smile, trying to reassure me.

I am not worried about that. I know Celeste feels something for me. She has to, after everything. She's just confused by her feelings.

And it's okay. There's no need to rush.

"I will." I sigh, my gaze darting towards the Gryffindor table where she is sat with Dean.

Chin leaned in the palm of her hand, eyes boring into Dean's as she listens carefully to what he says, I could stare at her for a lifetime.

She's so captivating — even when she does nothing.

"You're whipped." I hear Atlas say.

I glance back at him and scowl, "Yes, I am. So what?"

Atlas shrugs as a small smile draws itself on his lips, "Nothing."

I clear my throat and stare back into his eyes, "So—" I rake my hand through my locks, my leg starting to bounce underneath the table, "How long do you think she has left?"

Atlas' eyes widen at my question. He shakes his head before quickly glancing behind his shoulder to look at his sister. She's still deeply engaged in a conversation with Dean.

"You shouldn't worry about her, Theo."

A scoff leaves the back of my throat, "You don't expect me to live my life without worrying about her, do you? She could—"

"Don't finish that sentence." He seethes, leaning closer to the table. He lowers his voice, not wanting to attract the attention to us, "She is okay. She has been for months and she will be for years."

I exhale loudly as my shoulders shrink. Despite his comforting words, I can't help but be worried.

I raise my eyebrows in a challenging way, "You know I'm going to find a cure, right?"