32

THEODORE - June 2005

There she is. And here I am, on the verge of falling down onto my knees at the sight of her. Heart racing, palms sweating, eyes brimming with tears, suffocating on sharp intakes of air.

Gods. How can someone be so... beautiful?

In Latin, Celeste means heavenly. To me, she's an angel. My angel. Her name fits her perfectly.

She's the sun in my sky. The moon in my life — a constant, bright presence in my world. She's my eternity, my forever and more. She's the light to the dark.

She was made for me. Meant to be with me — in this life and in the next ones. She's my soulmate, my best friend, my partner in crime. My everything.

And that's why she said yes.

And now, she's walking down the aisle. Looking ethereal. Breathtaking. Heavenly.

Shit. Is this still a dream?

Can you believe it? I get to marry the love of my life.

Honey eyes lock to mine, and I feel myself getting lost into her bright gaze. There's no one around us — it's always us two when we look into each other's eyes.

She clutches onto her father's arm like her life depends on it, as though she needs someone to catch her if she falls before she can reach out to me.

Her long dress trails behind her. It's as beautiful as her. Fitting, alluring details — lace flowers embroidered on the bodice, small diamonds dotted on the waist line. She looks like a princess.

My breath hitches inside my throat when she steps closer. Careful steps, but I know she's dying to stand in front of me and to feel my hands holding onto hers tightly.

When she smiles, I smile. My shoulders drop and I let out a content sigh just at mere sight of her being happy.

I extend my palm out, inviting her to place her hand in mine.

But when her fingers are millimetres away from touching me, she drops to her knees.

She falls to the ground like an invisible knife stabs her countless of times in the back. And there's no one to catch her, no one to save her.

Her father has faded away. My best men, her bridesmaids, all gone. The guests? Not there.

What the fuck.

I scream, but my feet are glued to the ground.

"Celeste!" I shout, my body wanting to scurry off to hold her. To save her.

But I can't. I can't move. My feet are still stuck to the ground. And she's alone on the floor, dying.

And I can't do anything except look into her eyes as they become lifeless, holding my gaze before they shut close. All I can do is scream and cry and scream.

Dead.

Dead.

My Celeste, gone.

***

I scream. In terror, in fear. I scream as I awake in the middle of the night.

I sit up, my chest heaving, my breathing ragged as hot tears flow down my face. Panic rises, my chest tightens around my lungs, I gasp for air.

"Celeste?" I whisper, my voice hoarse.