34

THEODORE - March 2006

"Will you stop pacing around like a bloody grandpa?"

"Did you just call me a grandpa?"

"I sure as hell did, man. God damn it, stop walking around like that. You're stressing me out."

"Sod off, Zabini." The palms of my hands find my flushed cheeks. Trying to rub the heat off my face, I groan under my breath. The hammering of my heart inside my chest doesn't cease. "I'm fucking nervous, okay?"

From where Blaise sits in the armchair in the corner of the room, one ankle placed atop a knee with a glass of bourbon in hand, he simply lifts his brows at my outburst.

"Give the man a break, Blaise," says Draco when he enters the room. The door closes with a soft click behind him. "He's getting married. He's allowed to be nervous."

I scratch the back of my head, "It's only the engagement party today," I correct Draco.

"Same shit." He crosses the room with long strides whilst fixing the cuffs of his tuxedo vest. "Why are we here? Party's downstairs."

"Yeah, Theodore," Blaise follows with a tilt of his head, narrowing his eyes at me. "Why'd you call us up here?"

Both my hands find my hair, tousling the locks before the fingers grip at the roots. The fabric of my own suit tightens around my arms at the motion.

I release a breath I didn't even know I was holding. "I'm really nervous."

"Why?" They ask the question in unison before glancing at each other and grinning.

Eyes on the ceiling, thousands of questions run through my mind. "What if she doesn't want to marry me? What if she runs through the backdoors again?"

Blaise snorts, "And run to whom? Back to Warrington?" He laughs, "Imagine how funny—" He presses his lips onto a thin line when I glare at him. "Never mind."

A scoff from Draco can be heard whilst my gaze gets fixated on the window. From up here, we can see the guests chatting in the garden — some of them already dancing as others make small talk around a few glasses of champagne. "Why would she call it off?"

"You're overthinking," Blaise says bluntly. I look at him and he lifts his shoulders in a sheepish shrug. Lifting his hand occupied by the glass of alcohol, he aims his pointer finger at me. "Although, I still don't understand how she didn't make you grovel for at least ten more years."

My jaw clenches. "You know why," I say through gritted teeth.

I do wonder how Celeste has forgiven me so quickly at times. But I know why; she doesn't want to waste time. She may have forgiven me, but she hasn't forgotten a single thing.

A long exhale flies past Blaise's lips. The moment he places his foot back on the floor to lean his elbows on his thighs, he grips his glass in between both his hands. His dark eyes gleam with sadness and desolation. "How has she been doing lately?"

"She's alright. She's healthy, happy." A tight smile draws itself on my lips.

"How long do you think she has left? Are you guys planning on making babies as soon as you tie the knot? Because I'd love to see a mini Theo or mini Celeste run around and—"

Draco reacts before I do. With the palm of his hand, he slaps the back of Blaise's head. "That's not something you ask, Blaise. You seriously have no self control."

Blaise rubs his head and groans dramatically. "I'm sorry," he says whilst locking his eyes to mine.

I exhale through my nose, "It's fine."