O35. → the oscars (pt. 1)

༊*·˚ CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE*ೃ༄

the oscars (pt. 1)

march 19, 2023

it was about two o'clock pm on the day of the oscars, and haley was in a bathrobe, shaking in a chair in front of a vanity. she had finished a late lunch, which had to be heavy since no one would eat at the afterparty anyways; it was more of a venue for mingling. vogue was about to come at any minute, since they'd be covering how she got ready for the event. unlike most celebrities who'd be flying in from around the world and bunking at hotels, haley chose to stay at home because she knew that the formal atmosphere of a hotel wouldn't help her nerves. instead, she was about to get ready in her parent's room; the master bedroom of the house was bigger than her and her brother's rooms combined. no one slept in it since they'd gone, but she decided to get ready as if they were there with her at the moment.

"haley! wanna see the dress?" she turned around to see her brother, still dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. he was going to be her plus one, while elias was an extra guest (nominees were allowed one plus one and two guests). haley shook her head as an answer to finn's question. if she saw it, then everything would become real very quickly. she was trying her best not to panic. "hey, hey, it's gonna be fine." finn walked over and gave her something that resembled a hug. he wasn't very touchy.

"okay, okay, thanks. is robert there?"

"he's too busy telling riley how she didn't get the little details, but there's literally nothing wrong with it."

"alright. sounds like him."

"don't overthink it, okay? you're gonna be great, whatever you do."

"easy for you to say when your only job is to look pretty!" she exclaimed as he walked out the door.

"fuck. haley, vogue's here already!" finn shouted from outside. haley got up and looked at herself in the mirror, smoothed her robe, and went outside to greet the cameras, trying to act like she got ready for award shows everyday. a viewer would think it looked that way, but underneath, she was a complete ball of nerves.

"hey vogue! i was just getting ready for the oscars, c'mon in!" she entered the room trailed by a number of cameramen with filming equipment, along with the makeup artists and stylists who would help her get ready. "this is my team..." haley said, gesturing at the five people around her. "this is anna and lynne who do hair, dani will be doing my nails, and ashe and nina are gonna do makeup."

haley sat down at the vanity and for the next two hours, talked with her team and occasionally the cameramen as they helped her get ready.

"my movie, the story of a pretty woman, was nominated for ten categories. it's insane. and this is the first time i've ever been part of something like this so it all just feels very special to me."

"tell them what you were nominated for," suggested a man holding a camera.

at this, haley smiled. "alright. uh, i was nominated for best actress, which is crazy and absolutely surreal," she began, smiling a bit as she said it. timothée used the word so much that it had rubbed off on her. "and i was also nominated for best original screenplay with the talented nicole holofcener, and best original song with aurora aksnes."