TRUST 25% - DAYS OF HABIT

It had almost become a habit. You've been visiting Gummy's Ice Cream Stand in the evenings to buy popsicles every day. One is for you, while the other is for Surtr. Nian gets one every now and again. Surtr, on the other hand, no longer restrained you when you arrived at the workplace since she'd become accustomed to your behaviour. Suspicious, as well. On the second day, she'd question you regarding your intentions in giving her popsicles. You had no choice but to give her the truth.
"Bonding? That was quite sly of you, but I'll give you that." She retorted back then.

Today, however, is different. You proceeded to the factory to offer her not only her regular dosage of popsicles, but a promotion file as well. After all, it was about time. She had never been promoted before then.

"Have you started to value me after witnessing my power?" She inquired after you handed her the file.

"From the start. I've never underestimated my operators." You grinned.

"I see. It appears that you have gained some understanding of my Arts by now. I do hope you are aware of the danger as well." She replied to you, after taking the popsicle that you had just handed to her.

"I will keep guard on that. In addition, I would like you to accompany my squad. I need to get rid of certain adversaries."

...

"Am I needed now?" She asked, staring down at the ensemble of enemies getting destroyed by operator Exusiai. You gave her your directions with a nod. "Not a bad position." She remarked, tilting her head at the wave of enemies approaching her, chortling. Judging by her attitude and spirit after the promotion today, victory is guaranteed.

After many days of inspecting her, you could confirm the claim that you had clarified from the start. Her power was overwhelming.

As you previously noted, it is unacceptable to belittle others, yet at this moment, thinking she is powerful is considered underestimating. She is significantly more than a simple description of "powerful" can convey.

Your aim is to get friendly with her in order to avoid wasting her power. She is difficult to be kind to, as the other operators have advised you. Bribing her with ice cream isn't going to cut it. You need to put forth more effort. As she succeeded in killing the remainder of the troops, you had already devised a strategy.

However, after yet another flawless victory, Surtr herself did not seem happy at all. Nor was she in her usual arrogance after clearing the battlefield.

She remained there, in the midst of flames and corpses, gazing at the staff which was embedded with the blood of her palms.

You could not tell whether it was a vindictive glare or a sorrowful gaze, with tears on the brink of toppling.
Or have they toppled already? You could not tell. But her position, the way on how she remained, as if she was a soldier that maintained surviving in a bloodbath of her peers...

...was a wistful presence, yet a melancholic view.