Infatuation

Day Four

Looking around the room they were all unconscious except for her and Josh. Quickly she made sure to take a picture on her phone of Emmie and Sam laying side by side only their elbows touching. By now she had sobered up and was getting ready to walk to her room when Josh stood up beside her reaching carefully into Jake's pocket.

"Not quite tired. Want to watch Fandango again?" He waved a credit card in the air making her laugh as they tiptoed past the others to her room.

Going to change in the bathroom she heard Josh ordering the movie again and trying to pronounce the words clearly to the remote. Forgetting she left her clothes in her trunk she walked back out looking to Josh her cheeks aflame.

"Um, do you mind if I borrow a shirt? I sort of left my clothes bag in the car. I am really not wanting to walk out there." She watched him quickly leave the room coming back not even a minute later with a new shirt on his body and the one he had just been wearing sitting in his hand.

She took the old Pink Floyd shirt back into the bathroom smiling to herself as she pulled it over her head. It hung over her thighs, much like the shirts she normally wore. When the scent of his cologne hit her nose she couldn't help her cheeks going red again. As she walked out she didn't miss his growing eyes as she sat on the bed beside him.

"Looks better on you than me. Keep it. What is it about this movie, that makes you love it?" He asked her.

As the opening scene started again she thought on it. What was it that made her love it so much? No one had ever asked her.

"My dad loves the movie. When he showed it to me it was like a right of passage. He watched my face during every scene to see how I would react. I loved everything about it. I loved it more because he took the time to share something that was important to him. I don't think I ever said thank you to him for showing it to me." She replied not taking her eyes off the movie.

"That's why you show it to everyone. So they get the same experience you got. I think that's quite beautiful Luanne Faye." Josh said quietly to not interrupt their movie.

He paid more attention the second time around watching the movie. Knowing the reason behind why she loved it made Josh more aware of her. He had been trying to figure her out for three days. Wondering where the flaw was in her, anything to help loosen the blow for when she leaves. He couldn't find it. Her face as she watched was infatuation, it was a look of genuine love in her eyes.

"I always think about what happened afterwards. Where the friends all ended up and if they saw each other again." Luanne spoke softly as the credits began again.

"I think they did. When you care about someone that much you always find your way back. No matter how long it takes." He replied not daring to look at her. 

It was nearing 3 in the morning and the yawning between the two of them was becoming more frequent. They had gone through a million topics with the news softly playing in the background. When her eyes finally shut Josh took it as his cue to leave carefully moving to sit up so to not wake her. Feeling a soft tug on his wrist he turned his head back toward her. 

"Stay." Slipped softly from her lips as he settled back onto the bed. He wasn't going to argue with her for any amount of money in the world. 

As much as he needed to sleep he couldn't. She had rolled her head onto his chest and wanted to remember it as long as he could. Softly running his hand through her hair he listened to the breath leaving her lips. 3 days was all it had been. Was she as anxious as him? Was she constantly worried about how things would end? When he finally fell asleep his hand was still gently nestled into her hair and the other arm wrapped tightly around her begging silently for her to never leave. 

Knocking woke her up and Luanne knew she needed to open the door for Emmie. Feeling warmth beneath her ear she tilted her head up to see Josh sound asleep. He had that soft smile even in his sleep. Looking down she noticed his arm wrapped around her waist keeping her in place beside him. In the silence she could hear his gentle snoring making her hold back a grin. He liked her movie. He watched it twice. 

The knocking came again louder this time and Josh's eyes open in panic before settling on her. He was like something out of the old novels she used to read as a kid. The boy who looked at the girl like nothing else mattered. 

"Good morning Josh." She spoke over the incessant knocking. 

"Good morning Luanne. Jake is going to kill me over taking his card." He laughed then as she sat up tossing her legs over the bed.

Jogging to the door she opened it to see a cheeky smile on Emmie and Sam. What was in front of them was Jake with his arms crossed over his chest. 

"He is in there isn't he?" Jake muttered and Danny finally walked up still buttoning his jeans. 

"Maybe, why do you ask?" Luanne asked the red faced boy standing in her doorway. "Hello Jakey!" Josh cried out from the bed behind her making Jake enter at a run jumping on top of his brother.  

"Good morning to you three." Luanne spoke to the remaining three in the doorway over the yelling of the boys behind her. 

Danny smiled politely before going in to break up the boys with Sam moving behind him. She did pick up on his hand brushing over Emmie's arm before stepping through. The blonde instantly grinned looking at her friend. Leaving the boys to argue Emmie pulled Luanne out into the hall shutting the door behind them. 

"Clarkes. When I said to keep a brother for me I did not expect Sam out of it. You really know how to find the good ones. He could keep up drinking with me the entire time! You know how hard that is!" Her smile lit the hallway as she talked and Luanne instantly went cold. 

In her escapade of finding Josh she got her best friend in the mix. However bad it was going to hurt her leaving the boys she knew it would hurt Emmeline worse. Her friend felt emotions deeper than anyone she knew. If Em already was this excited about Sam she knew it would only grow over the next few weeks. 

"We are in a bad situation aren't we? We have to be in Comstock on July 1st. It is June 3rd!" Luanne spoke in a hushed tone with her hands on each of her friend's shoulders with a tight grip. 

"I say we throw caution to the wind. What have we got to lose? Our dignity? We lost that living in fucking Tennessee. If all goes wrong we have each other like we always do." Emmeline looked to her with those bright green eyes full of determination and realized she was right. 

Letting go of the girls shoulders Luanne turned to the door opening it to reveal all four boys falling back from the door with a mixture of shouting. Looking at Josh, his cheeks go red as he throws a shy grin in her direction. Looking at Sam, he carried the same expression looking directly to Emmie who looked back at him with a wide set smile. 

"Emmie you wanted to go to that rodeo remember? It starts soon so y'all need to get ready." Luanne looked at the boys still fumbling to stand. 

"There's a rodeo? I love rodeos!" Sam cried out running off to get dressed as Jake followed behind him. "I wouldn't be caught dead at a rodeo he said." Jake mumbles as the other boys follow suit. 

Josh quickly turns around waving wildly as Danny drags him by his other arm to their room. These boys were chaos and she absolutely loved every minute of it.