Inevitable

Day Twenty-Five

Josh crawled out of the tent first this morning. Luanne was still sound asleep when he found Sam with his legs propped on the picnic table. He was chain smoking by the looks of it and Josh knew that was never a good sign. Emmeline was nowhere to be found so he could only assume she was still sleeping like the others. 

"Sam what the hell are you doing chain smoking at 7 in the morning?" Josh asked moving to sit beside his brother. The shakiness of Sam's hand concerned him and only made him more anxious. 

"I don't think I can do it Josh. I don't think I can leave her." Sam blurted before lighting another cigarette, quickly placing it between his lips. "What the fuck are you talking about? You have to. We all have to. Emmie knows that." Josh stared awestruck at Sam as he spoke. 

Sam couldn't sleep at all. Everything in him was alive with paranoia last night. Em loved him but he was a fool to think that she wouldn't eventually forget him. They were on two separate paths leading to bigger things. He watched her sleep all night, each breath that left her lips he counted. When he could no longer sit still that's when he took a seat at the table. 

"I don't get how you are so calm. You can't possibly be okay with all of this. It isn't fair. To find someone you care about so much then have them ripped away from you like it never happened. How are we supposed to live like this. Knowing them and then pretending to not? I can't do it Josh." Sam was running out of air as he spoke, more than likely due to the smoking but he couldn't help the panic. 

"I'm not calm. I'm not okay with any of it Sammy. I am in agony. Everyday I learn more about this beautiful woman only to know I am closer to losing her. Each fleeting minute I am reminded of the inevitable heart break that I am going to experience. None of this is fair. Sharing these moments with Luanne are worth it though. I haven't regretted one single second." Josh took the cigarette from between Sam's fingers putting it out then taking the whole pack and lighting one for himself. 

Josh couldn't wallow in the self pity. It wasn't worth it. He had 5 days. For now he had to enjoy every minute he could. When he looked up Luanne was crawling from the tent with her hair cascading in a tangled mess around her head. When her eyes adjusted on him she flashed him that damned smile making his stomach tumble. Waving at the two of them she made her way over stealing the cigarette from Josh's fingers. 

"Good morning Joshua Michael. Adventure today?" Luanne looked at him with those large hazel eyes and he was floored. Her pleading tone had no effect compared to those eyes.

"Good morning Luanne Faye. Yes, adventure." Josh smiled brightly as she squeezed him. He could smell his cologne on the shirt that hung over her thighs, grinning that it was his. Luanne didn't notice at this point as she wore primarily his clothes. 

Emmeline flopped out of her and Sam's tent with a grunt that alerted the three of her arrival. The cloud of worry and self loathing that hovered over Sam was gone in a millisecond of seeing Em. She was tired she walked in the opposite direction of them until Luanne called out her name. When the blonde turned around her eyes focused on Sam making that lopsided grin appear across her face. His own smile showed with her little jog toward him. 

"Good morning my dear." Sam proclaimed as Emmie collapsed beside him holding out her hand. "Morning honey, lighter now." Emmie proclaimed making Luanne cackle to know that some things never change. 

Luanne and Josh set out on a hike while Danny, Sam, and Emmie took off to the hot springs leaving the still sleeping Mickey and Jake to fend for themselves. What everyone missed was the two of them crawling out of the their tents with confused expressions.