Dawn

Day Thirty Pt.1 

When dawn broke through the windows of the hotel room everyone laid quietly asleep scattered throughout Josh and Luanne's room. The one that was awake was Luanne, she felt the sun hit her eyes and knew there was no going back to sleep. Not today. Instead, she rolled on her side watching her boy sleep. He seemed so at peace now. Last night the look in his eyes as he watched her video sent a dagger straight through her chest. It was as if he had been breaking before her eyes. 

Pushing his hair from his eyes she grinned. His smile that he held in his sleep was comforting. That no matter what, some things never change. It was going to be the last time she ever saw that gentle curl of his lips as he dreamed of being a rockstar. Looking to her left Sam had Emmie out cold across his chest and Jake had Mickey curled into his arm. They all looked content even when they weren't conscious. Grabbing her lighter and cigarettes Luanne stepped out of the room when Danny caught the elevator closing behind her. 

"Need water and a walk, immediately." Danny stated rubbing his eyes while she laughed. "You grab water and a diet coke and we will go for a walk. Sound good Wagner?" Luanne watched him nod sleepily as they stepped off the elevator. 

As they traveled along the sidewalk taking in the first sunny day in nearly three days there was a comfortable silence between them. That was how it felt with Wagner, never had to say anything of substance. There was just a mutual understanding between them. As she downed the soda she heard him clear his throat.

"You going to tell him today?" Danny chugged the water between words attempting to cure his hangover. 

"No," Luanne spoke understanding immediately, "he doesn't deserve that. Saying it will make it all too real. There is power behind those words that neither of us can face now." 

"I wish things were different. That the world would just stop turning so quickly and we could all have a few more days. I'm not ready to face adult life yet." Danny felt her hand on his back rubbing lightly as they continued on. 

"No one is ever ready to face adult life honey. It happens when you least expect it. You know what you do? You deal with it, you make it the life you want to live. You don't owe anyone anything. Remember that throughout it all and you will be okay." Luanne spoke as the two reached the lobby entrance. Stopping to light another cigarette, Danny stopped beside her. 

"I'm glad to have known you Luanne." Danny said quietly as she leaned her head on his shoulder breathing in the smoke. Luanne knew he would go so many places and was delighted to be a part of it. "I'm glad to have known you Daniel." Luanne replied breathing out, taking in the morning sunshine for a last minute before heading back through the lobby. 

The feeling in the air was unlike any other day they had been together. Sam woke up to Emmie taking his picture with a gentle smile. She had to add a final few pictures to her collection before they parted ways. Mickey woke in Jake's arms and for once didn't jump to move. Instead he held her there comfortably listening to her tell him about all the things she needed to do once they got to Comstock. 

Josh woke as Luanne walked through the door with Danny behind her. His friend held a solemn expression while Luanne carried that same warm smile. Even on a day like today she smiled, just to keep everyone happy. Her will to keep everyone at peace was inspiring, never dwelling on all that was going wrong.

"Good morning Joshua Michael." Luanne thought she would break then. Wishing him a good morning for the last time was nearly her undoing but he caught it. "Good morning Luanne Faye." Josh grinned back at her causing her shoulders to relax.