Wait

Day Twenty-Two 

The heat was otherworldly today and they were nowhere near a body of water. Emmeline and Luanne laid on towels in bathing suits attempting to at least get a tan out of it. Mickey was once again beating away bugs while fanning herself. 

"You know Mick if the bugs bother you that much, you could just stop wearing perfume." Jake jested at the girl who let out her loud laugh. 

"I'm not a fucking animal Jake. No offense girls." Mickey responded looking toward her sweating friends. 

"None taken." Luanne and Emmie replied in unison. 

The heat truly was unbearable but Mickey wasn't going to dare laying on the ground no matter how many towels Luanne offered. She was perfectly fine in her chair that Jake gave her. Danny laid on the ground with the girls while Josh and Sam were off doing who knows what. 

"Heat makes me miss home." Emmie poked at Luanne who merely laughed. 

"Different kinda heat out here. Wagner over here may be dying." Luanne looked to the boy with his hair tied above his head.

"Why do you think I'm laying out here with you idiots. I'm fucking frying. Does anyone know what the hell Josh and Sam are doing?" Danny tilted his head up towards the two who were sitting together at a picnic table with a map and notebook. 

Luanne had been wondering what he was planning since El Paso. Josh had his super serious face where his eyebrows furrowed and his tongue stuck out every time she saw him plotting. Whatever he was doing, he was being increasingly suspicious. 

Emmie watched Sam with a wide grin. He had his shirt off and no shoes in sight. His hair was tied in a little bun at the base of his neck and he seemed intense staring at the map. Whatever he was doing she knew it was to help Josh with something for Luanne, that much was obvious. Emmie wished she could remember El Paso, Sam made it seem like nothing bad happened but he got very quiet when she asked about it. 

"No clue. Josh roped him into it this morning." Emmie stated as Sam looked up to her quicky winking. 

Josh looked at the map in front of him and the time on his phone. Today was the day it would begin. 8 days. He had 8 days to give Luanne the trip she never got. After yesterday she seemed okay but deep down that she never would be and the least he could do was show Luanne just how damn much he cared about her.

"Alright. Everyone get packing." Josh's voice was giddy as he stepped toward the group with the map folded in his hand. 

"We just got here yesterday kiddo. Where the hell are we supposed to go?" Mickey questioned as Jake began packing her things for her. 

"We are going on a pilgrimage." Sam stated watching Luanne shoot straight up from her towel. 

"You're lying? Tell me he's lying Joshua Michael." Luanne looked quickly between Sam and Josh before glancing at Emmie whose eyes began to widen. 

"A farewell fandango for the musicians and actors and most importantly the director." Josh saw her coming toward him but wasn't fast enough as she tackled him to the ground squeezing him as tightly as she could. 

Sam saw tears welling in Emmie's eyes taking in Luanne's pure joy. When Josh asked him for help he knew it would make Em happy too. She did say she couldn't miss out on a road trip.

"I'm sorry I only saw the movie once sober. What are we doing?" Mickey questioned as Jake chuckled behind her. 

"That movie was filmed in Texas. Luanne always wanted to see some of the locations, so Josh and Sammy planned out a road trip for her to see it. Best part is our car has air conditioning Mick." Danny watched the girls dark eyes glow at the thought of ac and no bugs.