Dusty

Day Four

They heard the girls talking and knew they had to hear what they were saying. The girls accents made it hard to decipher but what was clear was Luanne was as nervous as he was. As they stepped onto the dirt the boys felt wildly out of place. Jake on the other hand looked as though he fit right in, he dressed the same as half the people there. The girls walked in front them, the matching leather boots kicking up dust. 

"I need a burger yesterday. Sorry Sammy I know you're vegan but ya girl needs meat." Emmeline stated looking to a food stand to the right dragging Sam towards it. His dopey smile meant he didn't care in the slightest. 

Looking to the left Josh saw Jake and Danny go off to look at vendors leaving him with Luanne. Her hair glowed under the sun dragging out the red tint. When she turned around to face him he could've sworn she would belong anywhere you put her. The Diet Coke can matched the rings the glittered her hands.

"And then there were two. Now how bout we look at the homemade jewelry I've seen you eyeing since we got here." She grabbed tight to his hand intertwining their fingers and he couldn't stop himself from rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. 

She forced him to try on several necklaces making sure to record him doing so. He didn't pick one that he liked until that dimple she had popped out at the last one he placed around his neck. It had several multicolored beads until the very bottom where a square shaped crystal pendant sat.

"That's my favorite. It suits you well." Luanne spoke softly holding the pendant between her fingers. He didn't need to hear her explanation, the smile was enough to make him buy it. 

As they moved to sit in the bleachers she sat close to him with a funnel cake in her hand and coke can held between her knees. As Luanne struggled to eat with her hair falling in her face he instinctively began holding the hair away from her. When riders came out she yelled along with the other people in the crowd. He couldn't help but laugh as she jumped wildly causing his jeans to grow dusty with funnel cake sugar. 

"She is adorable, you got a good one kiddo." A woman spoke behind him making him look to the hollering girl, hair flying behind her. "There isn't a word to describe her." He whispered before standing and shouting with her. 

Gazing to her left she watched Josh cup his hands as called out to the barrel racers. He immersed himself into whatever she was doing and it warmed every bit of her. His tan skin reflected the sun and his smile wide whenever she yelled with him. In all honesty she knew the rodeo would be fun but she never expected him to be having this much fun. Her camera hung around her neck and she clicked it on before recording him waving his arms in the air with excitement. She couldn't ever encapsulate the essence he was but she could at the very least try to capture his joy. 

"Luanne look!" Josh cried out seeing Sam and Emmeline laughing together at a picnic table nearby. Emmie's head was thrown back as she waved around a plastic and she knew the girl was telling him the story of when Luanne coached her high school marching band. 

"I told him that she would like him. Em has that way about her. Come on we have other things to see Joshua Michael. The others have to see the museum." Luanne grabbed hold of his hand as she had earlier warming when his thumb rolled over her own again. 

As they walked into the museum Luanne walked out front taking in all the things she hadn't seen in years while the others walked steadily behind letting her have her moment. 

"She really likes you guys. Called me the first night she met you." Emmeline said quietly as they watched Luanne move farther along reading more signs.