Dizzy

Day Twelve

The time in Denver was unorthodox chaos. From hiking to dispensaries they tried to cover it all. Josh even took a day to take Luanne to the Denver Art Museum where she stared at the paintings for hours only for him to stare at her. Today Luanne was determined to see Red Rocks and Jake was ten steps ahead of her. The boy spent 20 minutes just picking out an outfit to match his hat for an Instagram picture. 

Josh watched Luanne pick out her outfit for the day sitting on their bed as she held several different shirts up to her body. At the thrift stores they visited she gathered a rather large collection of clothes over the span of 6 days. Eventually she picked a knitted halter top sitting just above her bellybutton. His eyes turned to saucers as she turned around. 

"This will do come on Joshua Michael." She grabbed for his hand as he continued to stare. 

"I really think you're extraordinary." His eyes traveled down her body taking in the white top and flare jeans paired with her little tan sneakers from the day he met her. Everything she wore just screamed Luanne.

"I think you're cute when you're checking me out. Come on." She quickly pressed her lips to his as he stood up making that lopsided grin return to his face as they walked out of their room. 

"Bout time. We were gonna leave without you but Jake over here took just as long getting dressed." Danny stared pointedly at his friend who posed with his hand to his hip. 

"Y'all wouldn't have left without me." Luanne smiled her accent flaring as she smiled at the group that proceeded to roll their eyes. 

"No we wouldn't have but that doesn't mean you can fuck before we have to leave." Emmie stated making Josh and Luanne freeze. 

They hadn't had sex. They made out on several occasions over the course of 6 days but never let it go that far. They both couldn't let themselves, knowing that would only make them grow closer. Luanne's face flared looking at Emmie who smirked back at her. It wasn't that she didn't think about it, she definitely thought about it a lot. Shifting her focus to Josh she saw the blush creeping up his neck and cheeks. 

Josh had thought about it. Several times, it's human nature. Something about Luanne made him nervous when it came to it. It wasn't like it would be a hookup, it's Luanne. This girl was never going to be someone he could hookup with and let it go. This girl was an intricate drug coursing through him all the time. 

"I call riding with Luanne and Josh, they put on a show while driving." Sam announced turning the pairs' attention away from each other. 

"Sorry Jakey, you and Danny can ride with us to Texas, I promise. Sam and Em can drive y'alls car tomorrow." Luanne looked to the frowning two as they began to smile. 

The air was dry and warm as they drove down the road. Of course they performed songs just for Sam. They had just finished singing Queen when Josh took her phone in his hands picking a song. The car quieted as Josh's voice filled the PT Cruiser. 

Babe, there's something tragic about you
Something so magic about you
Don't you agree?

Babe, there's something lonesome about you
Something so wholesome about you
Get closer to me

No tired sighs, no rolling eyes, no irony
No 'who cares', no vacant stares, no time for me

The two in the backseat stayed silent as Josh sang the Hozier song. 

Honey, you're familiar like my mirror years ago

Idealism sits in prison, chivalry fell on its sword
Innocence died screaming, honey, ask me I should know
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door

Babe, there's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this
Where to begin

Babe, there's something broken about this
But I might be hoping about this.
Oh, what a sin

Luanne's voice melted into the harmony with Josh leaving the two in the back seat smiling to themselves.

"You think they know they're literally singing the words to each other?" Sam asked Emmie whose grin began to grow. 

"Oh trust me. They know. They're in love." Emmie whispered back to the boy as she listened to her friend continue. 

To the strand a picnic plan for you and me
A rope in hand for your other man to hang from a tree

Honey, you're familiar like my mirror years ago
Idealism sits in prison, chivalry fell on its sword
Innocence died screaming, honey, ask me I should know
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door

Pulling into the parking lot the song ended, both Josh and Luanne hummed the tune still as she parked Penny beside Danny and Jake. Josh ran around the side opening her door leaving Sam falling back into his seat as the girl's car was a two door. 

"Jesus Christ Josh!" Sam cried out before Emmie rubbed the spot on his head that he had hit, silencing the boy immediately. 

Walking into the amphitheater everyone's jaw plummeted to the ground. Josh squeezed Luanne's hand looking out at the sight. He had seen it in pictures and videos hundreds of times but never had he imagined this. Danny immediately turned to the group with a wide smile as he walked down the steps. Jake forced Sam to take his picture pulling Emmie to his side as they posed together. Josh felt Luanne's hand unfurl from his to hold her camera up panning around the scene. 

"This is fucking insane! Luanne come here!" Danny cried out before handing his phone to Josh who took pictures of the two of them. Luanne had a wide set smile posing keeping her eyes on Josh. 

As they wandered around taking it all in Luanne stayed near Josh paying attention to his growing eyes as they walked. 

"One day you guys could end up playing a venue like this. People filling this entire thing just to see you. Wouldn't that be wicked!" Her voice was full of passion nearly bringing him to his knees. 

"I don't think we will ever get this big. We think we are good but this many people thinking we are good? I don't think that's in our future Luanne." Josh felt her tug on his hand as she stopped in place. 

"Josh Kiszka. You and the boys are incredible. More than this many people would pay to hear you play. Trust me. You've got it. I just have that feeling." Luanne held her hand to her camera recording him as he watched her.

"Okay. We will play Red Rocks. You will be backstage cheering us on." Josh yelled feeling his cheeks grow warm at the thought of her backstage with a pass around her neck jumping around in the cute little way she does. 

"I'll take off work to travel don't worry. I wouldn't miss it for the world." She yelled back making him instantly go cold. 

His head went dizzy and he feared falling down the steps. They hadn't talked about her leaving since the day they left for Denver. Six days in one spot he entirely forgot that she had a life she had to get to. If they ever got to play Red Rocks by then she would have more than likely forgotten him entirely just a blur of her past life. He quickly turned his eyes to her seeing things click as her camera dangled once again from her chest. For the first time since he met her 12 days ago he saw sadness in her hazel eyes. It was a sight that tore open his chest leaving his heart on the ground in front of him. 

Moving back up to steps toward her he grabbed ahold of her cheeks forcing her to look at him. 

"Hey, Luanne it's okay. We both are adults. We have responsibilities. Let's just enjoy the next 18 days and relish in the fact that we get this time together. Okay?" He flicked his eyes between hers praying for that look in her eyes to go away. 

"Okay. 18 days." Her voice was a mere whisper but Josh took what he could get. Pulling her face toward her he pressed his lips to hers tasting that familiar diet coke and strawberry chapstick. Her lips were warm pressing into his with a silent promise. If the boys ever played Red Rocks she would be backstage, cheering them on. Even if it cost her everything. It would be worth it.