Perfect

Day Six

It was nearing 1 in the morning. Luanne leaned into Josh's chest as they sat in front of the fire. Jake had managed to set 7 marshmallows ablaze and was now on his 8th. Emmie was trying to light a cigarette in the flames make Sam cackle. Danny had been discussing a song he heard on the radio earlier with Josh. For the first time in a while Luanne had nothing to say. Looking around the circle of them she panned her camera making sure to document it all. 

As her speaker switched to 'Horse with No Name' by America she hummed along against the boy's chest. Josh's hands were draped over her chest tapping along to the song as he spoke to Danny. All at once the world seemed quiet. Peaceful even if it was just for them. Luanne had earned this absence of worry and despair. 

"How many bands can you name that have a color in them?" Jake asked suddenly puzzling them all. 

"White Stripes!" Emmie called out first.

"Deep Purple." Luanne spoke up next, followed by Josh, "Pink Floyd." 

"The Cranberries!" Sam called out quickly followed by several eyes turning to his direction. 

"Cranberries? That's not a fucking color bro." Jake argued. 

"Technically you could say cranberry is a shade of a color." Danny defended his friend only to have Emmie cut in. 

"Wagner, tell me you aren't defending CRANBERRY  as a color. You could've picked all the bands in the world Sam and cranberry was your pick. Black Sabbath was right there for the choosing." Emmie flailed her arms as the others watched holding back their laughter. 

"Maroon 5." Jake said suddenly breaking all of them at Emmie's wide eyed stare. Josh's giggle bounced off Luanne's back only making her laugh harder. 

Luanne hid with Josh behind her car attempting to listen in on Emmie and Sam's conversation. Josh took a glance at the girl beside him making his lips curl into a smile as she positioned her camera toward the pair. 

"So if you became a famous actress would you remember me?" Sam's voice was low as he held tight to Emmie's hand.

"Absolutely not. I would be famous and have my choice at any famous man I wanted. Of course I would remember you dummy. I hope the job Clarkes got me pans out. I was going to Vanderbilt when she called me. Immediately dropped out and hopped on a plane to Wyoming. I would never miss out on a road trip." Emmie replied pushing her hair behind her ear with her free hand. 

"You really love her don't you?" Sam asked and at this point Luanne let the camera dangle from her neck now leaning onto the hood of her car listening in. 

"More than anyone. She's the only real family I've ever had. Josh is the only man I have ever met that I genuinely think deserves her. I want her to feel as loved as she makes everyone feel, I think he could accomplish that." Emmie said in a hushed voice as Luanne backed away from the car smiling at the ground. 

Josh didn't realize he had been gripping the car so tightly till he let go stepping back towards her. When she tilted her eyes toward him he froze. Emmeline was wrong, he didn't deserve her. Not this girl in front of him. He didn't think anyone deserved her. At once the conversation of his brother and Emmie went silent and the two ran back to the hood. Looking out they saw Sam's hand gently placed on the blonde's cheek holding her lips to his. 

"Wonder if they have the same pact we do?" The words fell from his lips without thinking. 

"Emmie is the most hardworking person I know. She won't let anyone get in the way of her dream even if it kills her. This might be the one exception though." Luanne whispered toward him watching her friend melt into Sam.