Glamping

Day Seventeen 

As everyone loaded the cars the next morning Mickey and Emmie duked it out to see who would ride with Luanne. After 5 rounds of rock, paper, scissors Emmie eventually won sending an unhappy Mickey toward Jake and Danny. Danny helped put her stuff in the car silently cursing her for having so many bags. Mickey couldn't help that she had to be prepared for everything. Jake offered the passenger seat opening the door for her earning Danny smacking the back of his neck. 

"Mickey you can have aux if you want, Danny doesn't mind!" Jake called from the backseat making the girl grin. 

"Wagner have you ever listened to One Direction? I particularly like 'No Control'." Mickey began to blast the song throughout the SUV as they drove off making the two girls packing into the cruiser laugh at Danny's annoyed expression. 

Josh and Sam shoved the girls bags into the small trunk using their feet to kick them in. Luanne and Emmie watched with grins as the boys looked terribly aggravated. Emmie leaned against the hood taking in Sam's angered face with a smile. His brows were furrowed and sweat ran down his forehead. The blonde couldn't help but begin to sweat herself when she glanced toward her best friend. Luanne matched her with that wide set grin watching Josh. He kept pushing his hair from his forehead swearing like a sailor. 

"You're staring Clarkes." Emmie mumbled trying to conceal her grin. 

"So are you Em. Seems you're always staring at him darlin. Think we could just shrink the two of em and keep em in our pockets forever?" Luanne was joking to a certain degree, she did want to keep them around forever. 

"Don't have to shrink em too much. They aren't very tall to begin with." Emmie replied making Luanne erupt in laughter. 

Josh and Sam heard their laughing choosing to ignore it and closed the trunk with a loud crash interrupting the girls who climbed into the car. Sam slid into the backseat falling into Emmeline's lap with not a speck of grace. Josh pushed the passenger seat back before collapsing into it and pressing the button to put down the top of the car. Luanne handed him the camera as always with her dimpled smile shinning through the boy. He took the camera carefully placing it around his neck as she started the car. 

"Joshua darlin, would you put on the riding in the car playlist please? The one I made the other day." Luanne instructed the boy whose cheeks went pink with the heat. 

When she called him darlin in that accent he would do whatever she said. As he scrolled through her many playlists he found the one. Pressing shuffle, he turned on her camera turning the lens towards her in anticipation. 'Awake My Soul' by Mumford & Sons began to fill the small car.

"Oh my god I haven't heard this song in forever!" Emmie cried out. 

"I loved this song!" Luanne called after her as she turned the stereo up louder the two girls began to sing leaving the boys watching behind a lens and sunglasses. 

How fickle my heart and how woozy my eyes
I struggle to find any truth in your lies
And now my heart stumbles on things I don't know
My weakness I feel I must finally show

Sam sat beside Emmie forgetting he was in a car with his brother as he watched her. It was haunting, her voice. For the size she was you didn't expect the sound to come out of her. 

Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all
But lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall
Lend me your eyes I can change what you see
But your soul you must keep, totally free

Luanne smiled as she sang thinking about how she used to listen to the vinyl on her bedroom floor as a teen. Glancing in the rearview she saw Sam staring with his mouth open at her friend and it nearly brought tears to her eyes. All she ever wanted was for someone to look at Em that way.