Memory

Day Thirty Pt. 2

After Luanne spoke they all walked out the door closing it behind them. Now in the heat of Texas summer they had to let each other go. Let themselves live out their separate dreams. Mickey gave Luanne's hand a tight squeeze as they all stopped, planting their feet in front of the SUV. Emmeline walked steadily beside Sam already feeling the tears threatening to fall. 

Josh felt like he was walking on autopilot. That this wasn't real and he was still in Montana. That he was dreaming after the first night of meeting her. That when he woke up tomorrow he would knock on the window of Penny and invite her to go swimming. When Danny started the goodbyes it all came crashing down inside of him. 

Danny stepped forward first hugging Emmie then Mickey whispering words no one else could hear as both girls gently smiled and nodded. When he moved to Luanne she jumped forward throwing her hands around his neck. His vision became blurry as he held her close. He would never meet anyone like her again. 

"Take care of them. You are going to do incredible things. Don't smoke too much, you have a good brain." Luanne mumbled into his shoulder as he let out a laugh mixed with his own tears falling. Leaning away from her caught the keys Jake tossed him and made his way toward the car not daring to look back at the girls. 

Jake came next toward Emmie and Luanne hugging them both tightly. Feeling Emmie beginning to cry he rubbed her back. Luanne ruffled his hair as he looked between the two of them. Jake was unable to process how to thank them fully. Knowing Josh and Sam wanted as much time as possible he hurried. 

"You made them better. Both of you. Thank you for everything." Jake said lowly so the boys wouldn't hear. 

"Never stop playing. You are too good to ever give it up." Emmie replied hugging him once again before moving to Josh. 

Luanne could hear Mickey and Sam going back and forth with each other cackling as they reminisced. Looking over her shoulder she caught Mickey glancing at Jake repeatedly as she fumbled with her thumbs. 

"You showed her that she was worthy of love. Thank you. Watch Josh for me please. Keep him in line." Luanne chuckled as Jake wiped his eyes before moving toward Mickey. 

Sam practically tackled Luanne enveloping her in his arms. Sam had become someone who Luanne admired. He took care of Em like it was his life passion. For that, Luanne owed him everything. No one has ever made Em feel the way he did. 

"She really loves you. You know that right? I am so thankful for you Sam Kiszka. Even if you were to be caught dead at a rodeo, you are always welcome to join me." Luanne squeezed as hard as she could feeling his hands begin to shake. 

"I never meant to hurt her this way. I would follow her to the ends of the earth if she asked." Sam's words came out warped with his throat tightening. 

"I know honey. I know. You are a good kid." Luanne watched him walk toward Emmie as Josh spun around to face her with wide panicked eyes. 

Jake and Mickey stood facing one another. There was so much Jake wished to tell her but knew it would make no difference today. Today was the day to mourn what they could have been. When the first tear fell from her porcelain face he felt overwhelmed. Like it wasn't supposed to happen. That the strong girl he had come to know was going to stay strong and keep him together till he got in the car. 

"Marino, don't cry. Don't do this to me now." Jake whispered wiping the tears from her cheeks. 

"What if the dust never settles? What if we never never know?" Mickey questioned feeling the words tumbling from her lips. 

Fandango [Josh Kiszka] Book OneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara