Roommates

Marinette struggled with her bag as she navigated the throng of students and parents in the girls dorm. She had stopped by the office, where she'd waited for an unreasonably long time to receive a slip of paper with her class schedule and a key with her dorm number on it. Aside from a quick warning not to lose her key, she hasn't received any other instructions. Marinette had only found the girls dorm by following the other students.

She had finally worked her way around some parents encircling their daughter and crying, when Marinette spotted the girl from outside. She was still wearing her coffee stained clothes. Marinette turned around in a panic.

The girl ducked inside a room a few doors down. What if that girl was her roommate? Before Marinette could resume her search for her room, someone bumped into her.

She could feel herself stumble back and fully expected to land firmly on her butt when someone grabbed her arm and wrapped another arm around her waist.

"Wow, I'm so sorry."

Marinette found herself looking into a pair of green eyes.

"Are you okay?" the boy asked.

"Y-yes," she said. Marinette stood up straight, but his arm remained firmly around her waist.

His eyes widened when he realized, and he quickly dropped his arm to his side. "I'm Adrien."

"Marinette. I'm new here," she giggled nervously.

"Can I help you find you room?" He reached for the key in her hand before Marinette could answer. "215?" Adrien looked around. "Oh," he laughed sheepishly. "You already found it." He handed the key back to her.

Marinette turned to see that when she had stopped to avoid the girl, she'd stopped in front of her new room. Her name was listed on the plaque, along with a girl named Alya Cesaire.

It was her turn to laugh nervously. "Yeah, this is me."

"See you around, Marinette." Adrien flashed a swoon-worthy smile and headed down the hall.

Marinette quickly turned the knob and hurried in before the blonde girl came back into the hall. The room was decently sized with room for two twin beds pushed against the right wall. Across from each bed was a desk with a small bookcase atop it, and between the desks was a rolling door closet with a full length mirror on the door.

A girl with brown skin and burgundy hair sat in the chair closest to the window. Comics and newspaper littered across her desk, and a laptop displayed a live news stream that she was listening to.

The girl pulled one of her headphones out. "Hi," she said. "I'm Alya."

"I'm Marinette."

"You can come in," Alya laughed. "I don't bite."

"Oh, right." Marinette tried to shake the nerves from her encounter with the blonde.

She set her bags down in front and flipped onto the bed.

"I hope you don't mind that I took the bed closest to the window," Alya said. Se rolled the chair in front of Marinette's new bed.

"I don't mind," Marinette answered. She remained on her back, relieved to have finally made it to her room.

"The closet is pretty small, but the beds have drawers underneath them."

Marinette sat up and hefted her duffel bag onto the bed. "Thanks. I should probably start unpacking."

Alya shrugged. "You have all day. What track are you?"

"Design and modeling."

"Cool, I'm journalism."

"That must explain all the newspapers." Marinette gestured to Alya's desk. "Hey," she said after a moment's pause. "Do you know a student named Adrien? Blond hair, green eyes. Just a little bit taller than me?"

Alya raised an eyebrow. "Um that could only be one student. His name is Adrien Agreste."

"Wait, the famous model?"

"Yeah, he's Gabriel Agreste's son."

"Oh." Marinette felt her heart sink. He was definitely out of her league. "He seems nice," she said lamely.

"He's really nice. My boyfriend is his roommate. But Adrien keeps his distance. You'll see. His friends are nicknamed the Elites. They're popular, rich, and only hang out with one another."

"Wow. Who are the rest of them?"

"Chloe, or Queen Bee as she's nicknamed. Kagami, who's a world famous fencing prodigy. And Lila Rossi, daughter of the French ambassador in London." Alya rolled her eyes. "You don't have to worry about them. Most of us are beneath their notice."

Alya rolled back to her desk and put her headphones back in. Marinette busied herself with unpacking, which didn't take very long. She had three uniforms, made up of two navy skirts, a pair of khaki slacks, and three white shirts, as well as two navy jackets. She hung those in the closet, grateful her mom had marked an "M" on all the tags of her clothing. Without them, there would be no way to tell them apart from Alya's.

She dumped the random assortment of socks, pajamas, and regular clothes on her bed and neatly folded them before depositing them in the drawers beneath her bed. Her backpack held her sketchbook, pencils, laptop, and makeup, all of which she set out on her desk.

"Alya, where's the bathroom?"

"It's down the hall. You brought a towel and robe with you, right?"

Marinette shook her head, turning red with embarrassment for a second time that day.

"It's no biggie, girl. We can go get some tomorrow. And a toilette basket for you to use." Alya noticed her bed had no other coverings besides the standard sheets and gray blanket. "You'll  probably want to get a quilt, too. It can be really drafty, especially in the spring."

Once Marinette had arranged her desk, she hung her backpack over the chair. Although it was a few seasons old, she still loved the pastel pink and white polka dots and the bright navy flower in the middle. It matched well with her uniform.

Seeing Alya was self-absorbed in her news stream, Marinette settled onto her bed and put in some headphones, silently watching videos until dinner.