Lies

Meeting Luka had seemed like a good idea at the time, but now Marinette couldn't sit still. They had agreed to meet the next day—Saturday—at Trafalgar Square. Despite her desire to visit the fountain, Marinette couldn't focus on the beautiful lion statues guarding the area.

Instead, she stood from the fountain bench as another roll of anxiety forced its way through her stomach. Luka hadn't arrive, so she could leave, blame it on homework or feeling bad. But Marinette knew she couldn't avoid Luka forever. Not when they went to the same school. Besides, she wasn't sure she could live with herself being a coward.

It was a crisp October day. The sun filtered weakly through a layers of white clouds. Light briefly danced over the pavement. Marinette turned the collar of her coat up and snuggled deeply into the white sweater she wore beneath it. Coffee sounded good right about now.

Then, there was Luka, his blue hair an immediate marker in all the natural colors bustling around her. He was wearing jeans and a black sweater. Marinette's heart leapt to her throat when she realized his blue hair peeked out from a hat. A beanie she had crocheted him the first Christmas they had dated, to be more exact. It was almost threadbare now.

She hadn't known he had kept it all this time.

"Hey." Luka walked up to her. He held out a cup of coffee. "Macchiato, one pump caramel, one pump vanilla with two percent, right?"

He still remembered her regular coffee order...

"Right," she squeaked, taking the cup into her hands. She could feel the heat radiate through her mittens. "Sit should we? We should sit? Let's sit," Marinette rambled, ducking her face to hide the creeping blush as she sat.

"You can calm down, Marinette." Luka smiled and sat on the fountain next to her.

"Sorry." She took a sip of the coffee. It was the same thing she'd been drinking since she was thirteen, but somehow it tasted too sweet. "This just feels awkward," Marinette admitted. She leaned over, resting her elbows on her knees.

"We don't have to talk if you don't want to."

"I don't know what to say."

"Anything you want." Luka took a sip of his drink.

"Pumpkin spice cappuchino?" Marinette sat up straight. She elbowed Luka gently.

"Without a doubt," he chuckled, then grew sober. "I'm sorry about what happened in the cafeteria. I wasn't thinking."

"No, I just haven't been able to talk about it." Marinette pushed away the thought of Adrien bringing her soup.

"Do you want to?"

Marinette vigorously shook her head. "No."

"You must have called me for some reason."

"Can't I visit an old friend?" she teased. Her blue eyes peered at him through thick lashes.

"But I'm not just an old friend," he pointed out.

"No." Marinette's eyes drifted to the beanie.

"It wasn't you," Luka said, noticing her gaze. "It was just the wrong timing."

"I know." Marinette finally let Luka's calm demeanor wash over her. "I just didn't expect you to show up wearing that." She pointed at his head.

"To be completely honest, I forgot entirely. It's the warmest hat I've ever had. I wear it all the time."

She snorted. "I'm glad you liked it so much."

"I'm not trying to date you again, Marinette."

"Good. I'm not in the right place now."

"But I'd like if we can be friends?"

"Of course, we can. I can even make you a new hat, too."

The wind caressed Marinette's face, and she shivered.

"Are you cold? Should we head back?" Luka had always acted like a protective boyfriend, even when they were kids. Even now.

Marinette shook her head. "I have some errands to run." She stood and brushed her pants off. "Thanks for the coffee."

After parting ways, Marinette headed to a thrift store she had discovered a few weeks ago. Her designs were coming along fairly well, and she was ready to look for fabric.

She stopped, waiting for the crosswalk light to change when a flash of auburn hair streaked with fiery red caught her eye. It was Lila, walking along the pavement on the other side of the street.

Marinette had told Chloe she'd seen Lila leave right before curfew the previous night only to find out she was going with her father on a weekend trip to Paris. So, what was she doing in London today?

Once she had crossed the street, Marinette turned right rather than heading the opposite direction to the thrift store. It was easy to spot Lila's hair in the crowd, so Marinette followed her for several blocks until her classmate stopped at an apartment building. Lila buzzed herself in.

Waiting until until she was sure Lila wasn't coming back out, Marinette went up the steps. She stopped at the door buzzer. She scanned the list of names. There toward the bottom:

C. Contard and L. Rossi apt. 306

The doorknob twisted. Marinette scrambled down the stairs, hiding off to the side. It was only an old woman who came out with her small white dog on a leash.

Marinette walked back the way she had come. Questions swirled through her mind.

Who was C. Contard? Lila's mom? Marinette thought her parents lived at the embassy. And why was Lila listed here as well?

Unless, she was lying about living in the dorms, when she really lived here. Was she lying about her dad, too?

Was it possible that Lila was a nobody after all?

Marinette stopped, suddenly realizing she didn't recognize anything around her. She pulled out her phone to use the GPS, but the battery was dead.

Not again.

Just so you guys know (if it wasn't clear), this story takes place junior year (sorry, I don't know English or French school grades). Luka and Marinette grew up together and were close in eighth grade, started dating over the summer and maintained a long distance relationship their freshman year, and were together until December of their sophomore year. So, at this point in the story they've been broken up almost 10 months.