A New Term

The next day Adrien was gone, headed back to London for some photo shoot or other. Marinette woke thinking about their kiss. It had been a magical experience.

The only think that left her wondering as she lied in her bed was his quick departure. They'd barely pulled apart when Adrien was hurrying away and promising to call her the next day.

A few minutes later, Marinette had run into Chloe, who had confirmed that Adrien had many social engagements to keep that night. Despite their tenuous past, she had been glad to see Chloe. Her friend had looked beautiful in her sequined dress.

"What do you think of Adrien's longer hair?" Chloe asked. "I keep telling him to get it cut."

"Oh no," Marinette protested. "I like it long. It makes him look sassy."

"That will definitely go then," Chloe muttered.

"What was that?"

"Oh nothing."

That hadn't bee Marinette's only strange encounter either. What was all that Cinderella stuff? She had laughed at first because it seemed so cute, but upon reflection, it seemed like a weird response to her asking Adrien to meet Gabriel. It was almost like Adrien didn't want her to meet his family.

Marinette blew out a breath between her lips. She brought her hand up to her face and rubbed her eyes. Her phone started ringing, and she blurrily grabbed it from its place next to her.

"Hello?" she asked, voice thick with sleep.

"Good morning, purrincess."

Marinette groaned. "Enough cat puns, Adrien."

"I just wanted to see how you are. Did I wake you?"

"No, but I just woke up." Marinette rolled on her stomach and pulled her pillow up under her chin. "What's up?"

"I've been thinking," Adrien paused. "I really like you, Marinette. I was wondering, would you be my girlfriend?"

"Your girlfriend?" she squeaked. "Yes! I mean—"

Marinette hadn't meant to sound so eager.

Adrien just laughed. "Good. I wish you were with me now. I wouldn't be so bored."

"I'll be back in a week," she said.

"I know, and I can't wait."

"Why do you like cats so much?" Marinette asked.

"I like cats and I like puns," Adrien answered. "So naturally I put the two together."

"Okay," she laughed. "I guess I'll just have to get used to that as your girlfriend."

It sounded so natural.

"I guess you will." Adrien's phone clicked as the line disconnected.

Marinette sat her phone down. She pulled her pillow over her face and squealed.

***

"Wait so you kissed him? For real?" Alya pushed open the door to the local coffee shop.

Marinette hadn't realized that she and Alya had only live about ten minutes away their whole lives. She was so glad they had found each other now.

"Yes, for real." Marinette kept the door from slamming behind them.

She and Alya stepped up into the line.

Marinette loosened her scarf. "It was... amazing."

"But who made the first move? I mean did you kiss him or did he kiss you?" Alya stared at her expectantly.

"He kissed me." Marinette couldn't hold back her smile.

"He's got it bad," Alya said. "Just wait, next thing he'll be asking you to be his girlfriend."

Marinette fiddled with the ends of her scarf. She gave Alya a look.

"Already?" her friend exclaimed.

A few people glanced in their direction.

"Shush," Marinette laughed. She grabbed Alya's arms. "Don't announce this to the whole coffee shop!"

"You mean like this?" Alya opened her mouth.

Marinette smacked her gloved hand over. "Don't you dare!"

They dissolved into a fit of giggles, not realizing the cashiers was ready to take their order.

From then on, Marinette couldn't wait for break to be over so she could get back to Clifton... and her boyfriend.

Soon enough she and her friends were boarding a train bound for London. This time they weren't in first class.

Alya and Nino had taken seats together, forcing Marinette and Luka to sit across from them.

Luka seemed much quieter than usual.

"What's wrong?" Marinette asked once Alya and Nino were safely distracted by a conversation of their own.

"I got my DNA report back... it had a hit."

"Your dad?" she whispered.

Luka nodded. He nervously but his nails, which was unlike him because they were usually painted. He didn't like to mess them up.

"My dad... is Jagged Stone."

"What?" she gasped quietly. "How..."

"My mom said they used to be in a duo before Jagged went solo."

"So, you talked to her?"

"Not until after the results came back. I couldn't believe it." Luka's hand dropped to his lap, shaking.

"Does Juleka know?"

"Of course."

"Wow. What's next? Are you going to contact him?"

Luka nodded. "I wrote him a letter and included a copy of the DNA test."

"This is huge!"

"It's terrifying."

Marinette had never seen Luka so afraid. She gently touched his shoulder. "It'll be okay. Don't jump to conclusions. I'm sure he'll want to meet you."

"Marinette, have you told Luka your news?" Alya interrupted.

Marinette cringed. Her hand dropped away from Luka's shoulder. This was the worst time to tell him. She had planned to bring it up later, once Luka had adjusted to his parental news.

"She didn't." Luka's eyes brightened. "What happened?" He looked from Alya to Marinette.

"Adrien asked me to be his girlfriend."

"Really? That's so awesome!"

Luka was taking this better than she had expected. Not that she thought he still had feelings for her. Marinette had just been worried that he and Adrien wouldn't get along and Luka was still one of her best friends.

She smiled dreamily. "It's very exciting!"

"I've got even better news," Nino said.

"Better than your best friend and my best friend dating?" Alya crossed her arms.

"Luka's video went viral!" Nino shouted and jumped up. A few other passengers shot him a disapproving look.

Nino reached over so Luka could look at his phone.

"1.2 million views?"

"What!" Marinette exclaimed. She leaned over to see. "What song is it?"

"Sincere Melody," Nino said.

Luka's mouth hung open in shock. "I don't believe it," he said.

"I knew you could do it!" Marinette reached over and hugged him.

When she pulled away, Alya was staring at them. An unreadable expression crossed her face.

Marinette was so happy for Luka. He deserved this.

I'm going to get back to Chloe, Lila, and Kagami's stories now! I didn't forget about them :) also I was too excited and decided to post on Friday too.