New Year's

"Make sure you double check the boxes before you close them," Sabine said. She wiped some sweat from her brow.

Marinette glanced down at the open box of macarons before her. She counted the rows, quickly doing the math in her head. "Don't worry. I have been." She closed the box and set it atop the stack at the end of the table.

Her mom walked back into the storeroom.

Juleka, who Sabine had hired to help them over the holiday rush, handed her another box. "Where are all these going?" she asked.

"Mayor Bourgeois's hotel," Marinette said. "I don't remember the exact event. It's some kind of New Year's party."

"That's a lot of work for a holiday," Juleka said. She gently lifted the cooling macarons from a tray and tucked them into a box.

"Christmas was quieter than we expected. This is good. We needed the business." Marinette didn't mind working on New Year's Eve.

She and her mom had had a nice Christmas. Sabine had loved the silk scarf, and she had gifted Marinette with a new sketchbook and set of pencils like she did every year, in addition to a diary, which her mom had thought would be good for writing down her thoughts.

Marinette had ignored the implication behind the gift—that it would help her grieve her father's death—to keep them from fighting. Besides, it was a beautiful book, and Marinette was sure she could put it to good use.

Her friend group, minus Adrien, had also met up after Christmas to hang out and exchange gifts. Alya had given Marinette a book on 1960s Paris fashion, while Marinette had crocheted her a red beanie with a pom pom on top. The twins had jointly gifted her an autographed copy of Jagged Stone's newest album.

"Luka's been using the new guitar picks you gave him," Juleka said quietly.

Marinette could see her friend's eyes sparkling beneath her freshly highlighted purple bangs.

"I'm glad." Marinette pulled on a glove and rearranged a few macarons in the box in front of her. "Also, your hair clips look really good."

Juleka laughed. She pretended to brush some hair out of her face. "You did give them to me."

Sabine poked her head out from the storeroom. "Girls, are you done boxing?"

Marinette closed the last box. "Finished, Mama."

"Wonderful!"

Luka appeared behind her. "I have the van out back," he said.

"Marinette, would you help Luka load the boxes?" Sabine asked.

Marinette grabbed a stack of the boxes that resembled what pizzas came in, except the boxes were just a little bit taller.

Luka grabbed a few too and they headed out to the alley behind the bakery. "This is a lot of macarons."

"It must be a big party."

They stopped behind the van. "Here." Marinette placed her boxes atop Luka's. She grabbed the door handle and opened the trunk.

Taking her boxes back, she and Luka began stacking them in the van. It took them several trips going to and from the bakery, and they worked in contented silence.

As they came in for the last few boxes, Marinette overheard her mother talking to Juleka on the other side of the register.

"Thanks so much for locking up," Sabine said. "Most of the dishes are done. Just wash what's left and leave them to dry."

"No problem." Juleka took a key from her.

"Ready?" Luka asked.

Marinette grabbed the last few boxes. "Ready."