The Show

Friday's update has arrived ;) Thank you so much for over 2k reads! I can't believe this book is finally coming to an end.

"This is a disaster!" Lila held out a ripped sash. "It snagged on my way here. What am I going to do Marinette?"

"Give it to me." Marinette took the sash and gathered Lila's dress in her arms.

Her classmates hurried through the room, which had been transformed for the fashion show. The desks were pushed up against the back wall while chairs sat on either side of the red carpet being used as their runway.

Mr. Thackeray had borrowed some props from the theater department. A row of curtains lined the front of the room, acting as a backstage area. There were two changing rooms that had been formed by the curtains as well so the students could change in private.

Marinette gently carried Lila's dress backstage. They weren't the only ones suffering a clothing crisis. Another group of students stood at a mannequin trying to sew on a sleeve last minute.

She placed the dress on a table and reached into her bag to retrieve an emergency sewing kit.

"Why didn't you use a garment bag?" Marinette asked, a little bit miffed.

At her side, Lila didn't answer.

Marinette sighed. Of course. Garment bags weren't provided by the school; they were just recommended materials. One that Lila couldn't afford.

"Show me how it goes on," Marinette said.

As Lila moved each part of the sash in place, Marinette pinned it to the bodice. Then she threaded a needle and began to sew. Marinette made sure the snagged left edge was hidden.

"You are a lifesaver," Lila gushed. She picked u the dress and held it up to her body. "It looks like new."

"You owe me big time," Marinette said sternly. Then she laughed.

"At least it's a realistic show. These things happen all the time."

"What things?"

Marinette turned and saw Adrien. He had a garment bag slung over his shoulder.

"Minor fashion mishap. It's fixed now," she explained.

"Good. Oh by the way, Alya and Chloe are out there."

"What?" Marinette knew they had been allowed to invite friends, but she hadn't because she found the modeling aspect to be embarrassing.

"Alya's covering it for the paper," Adrien continued. "I guess Chloe wanted to come because we went to her show."

"Well, that's... sweet." Marinette had a sudden wave of insecurity. What if they didn't like her clothes or laughed at the way she walked?"

"What's wrong, Marinette?" Adrien quickly noticed her downcast face. "Don't worry about the show. You'll do great."

"Did you practice your walk?" Lila asked.

"My walk?"

"Your walk," Adrien reiterated. A light smirk crossed his face. "Like this."

Assuming an air of indifference, Adrien strutted back and forth in front of Marinette and Lila. Every few steps, he paused to pose. Marinette laughed.

"Like this?" She wobbled her first few steps, not having the confidence Adrien and Lila had.

The further she walked, the more confidence Marinette gained. She turned back to them posing with a peace sign.

Adrien burst out laughing. "Whatever you do, don't do that."