Doubt

Adrien settled into his seat. He glanced around the theater. It was already filling up with students and was much busier than last year, which he suspected was because Clifton had finally decided to do something other than Shakespeare.

Lila had settled next to him and Kagami was on the other side of her. The seat to his left was empty. He looked at the plush red cushion.

"Where's Marinette?"

"Late as usual," Lila snorted. Her arm slipped off the armrest and she grimaced.

Adrien wondered if Kagami had accidentally elbowed her.

"Maybe she's with Luka," Lila said offhandedly. "They do spend a lot of time together."

Her words hit with the full impact of a punch to his stomach. Adrien knew Marinette and Luka were still friends but hearing Lila talk about them flippantly was another thing entirely.

"Have you seen them recently?" He leaned over so no one around would hear.

"To be honest, I haven't seen Marinette in a few days. That's why I wondered if they were together." Lila turned back to Kagami, leaving Adrien along with his thoughts.

Or Marinette could have been with Alya. Or Nino, Adrien consoled himself. There were a lot of plausible explanations. She could have even been finishing her outfit for their impending fashion show after spring break.

Adrien sighed. He looked back up the aisle and finally saw Marinette with her pigtails flowing behind her as she darted down to them.

"Sorry I'm late." She threw herself into the seat next to him and smiled. Marinette slipped her arm through his.

Adrien relaxed again and leaned into her. Lila hadn't meant anything. He was sure of it. Adrien sat back in his chair and prepared to watch Chloe's show.

But deep in his heart Lila had already planted seeds of doubt... and seeds grow...

***

Chloe couldn't believe how many people had showed up for opening night. She peeked through the curtains and quickly spied her friends sitting on the front row.

Chloe smiled to herself. She shook out her hands, arms, and entire body to rid herself of nervous energy.

"Good luck."

Chloe turned around and saw Jill standing behind her, in full costume for act one. Body glitter sparkled across her dark skin.

"You too," Chloe offered a tentative smile. "You look amazing."

"So do you." Jill raised an eyebrow at Chloe's all black ensemble that consisted of ripped jeans, a blazer, and combat boots.

"Break a leg," Chloe said cheerfully.

She took a deep breath. There was nothing that could beat the high an opening night performance. Chloe loved everything about acting. It was her own little escape from the world.

She peeked out the curtain once more. A shock of blue hair attracted her notice. Further back in the audience, she saw Marinette's roommate, Alya, her boyfriend, Nino, and... Luka. Her heart warmed when she saw him.

Chloe bit her lip and smiled to herself as she let the curtain fall back into place. Surely he was just here because he was a musician and was curious about the musical.

Chloe's heart fluttered despite that thought.

Sorry this is so short. The next chapter will be much longer.