Believe

It had been lucky that Adrien happened to be at the store the same time as them. He'd popped in to pick up a chocolate bar and saw Marinette in the store. Adrien would have said something to her, except that she didn't like him. She had been in the middle of a serious decision too.

Marinette shuffled through her basket, eventually taking out a ruffled throw pillow and putting it back on the shelf before hurrying to check out.

It was then he remembered Marinette was a scholarship student. She probably had to budget and couldn't afford certain things. So once she had left, Adrien purchased it and tucked it into his backpack to give to Marinette later.

It wasn't until he stepped outside that he realized Marinette was waiting under the awning, looking as if she was about to cry.

And maybe, just maybe she didn't totally hate him and Chloe now.

For her sake, he didn't want to embarrass her by giving her the pillow. So he left it in front of her door. Alya was probably on her way back by now. She would bring it in.

He headed up one floor to the boys level where his dorm was. Adrien shook off the remaining droplets of rain clinging in the folds of his jacket before he opened the door to his room. Nino was laying on his bed with his eyes closed, listening to music.

Adrien peeled out of his coat. He laid it over the back of his chair, when he noticed a crisp white envelope on the desk. It wasn't addressed to anyone.

"Nino," he said.

His roommate didn't respond.

"Nino," Adrien said louder.

"Wha—" his friend looked up startled. "Hey man."

"Who's this for?" He pointed to the envelope.

"Oh, Nathalie dropped it off while you were out."

If Nathalie had delivered it, it could only mean one thing.

Adrien picked it up, using a finger to open it without regard for being neat.

Adrien,

I'll be holding a launch for my new collection next week. Nathalie is to accompany you to Paris tomorrow so you can model in the intimate fashion show I'll be having for our shareholders and close friends. Everything has been arranged with the school.

The note wasn't signed. It was unlike his father to launch a collection so close to Paris Fashion Week, which was less than a month away.

Adrien crumpled it into a ball and flicked it into the nearest trash can. Typical of his father to summon him without even saying please. Nathalie lived in London during the school year to manage his work schedule.

The only reason Adrien had been able to come to Clifton Prep was because his mother had fought so hard for him to be there. After she had died, Gabriel had threatened to pull him out of school, but had never carried out his threat.

"Your father?" Nino asked. He had sat up on the bed and studied Adrien carefully.

Adrien grunted. "I have a fashion show next week."

"Dang. So early? School only just started."

Adrien raked his hands through his hair. "I'm so sick of this! He treats me like a doll that can be dressed up at his every whim." He paced in front of the desk.

"Don't tell me that. Tell him," Nino suggested.

Adrien sighed. He couldn't say something like that to his father without getting pulled out of Clifton permanently. Half a life was better than none at all. He couldn't bear to be back in his house alone with Father.

"What happened with Marinette?" He looked at Nino. "I found her at the Flying Tiger, and she didn't know how to get back."

Nino's eyes widened. "We thought she was right behind us. Then we had to spend extra to come back, except she wasn't there."

"We walked back."

"At least she had someone with her. Alya said she would teach her how to navigate to the closest stores."

"Ha," Adrien laughed. "Despite the fact that Marinette hates me."

"She doesn't hate you."

Adrien gave Nino a stern glare.

"Okay," Nino admitted. "She might hate you a little."

Adrien licked his lips. "I know what people say about us. About Chloe and Lila and Kagami."

"You're confusing me with the blue haired roommate you had last year."

Adrien crossed to the spaces between their beds. He sat facing Nino. "He was the worst."

"And now you have me!" Nino sat up. "Don't forget I'm your friend too. And Alya."

"Yeah," Adrien said, but he was t sure he believed it.