Ex-Boyfriend

Adrien watched Marinette's nimble fingers quickly sketching over a sheet of paper. She had slicked her dark hair back into two pigtails, to keep it from falling into her face. Marinette paused her sketching and pursed her lips.

Adrien smiled at the face she made while concentrating. He'd been pleasantly surprised that she and Lila had decided to give their project the theme of "Paris," when he had arrived back from London. It was always a relief to be out of his father's menacing glare. In an act of rebellion, Adrien had also gone back to the bakery and taken a dozen macarons in his train home.

Marinette hadn't really said anything since joining them at their table for lunch, but Chloe had mentioned that she sat with them almost every day so she could work on the project with Lila. Her sketchbook was almost half full but she hadn't shared any of them with the group yet.

"Adrien, are you listening?"

"Yes." He turned to Chloe.

Her hair was slicked back into a ponytail, a little greasy. It was usually unlike Chloe to appear in such a way, but audition week alway stressed her out. Every spare minute was spent rehearsing.

Just now, her script was messily spread out across their table, leaving little room for their lunches.

"I got a callback for Juliet. A callback!"

"Weren't you auditioning against Jill?" Kagami asked. "She was Hermia in A midsummers night dream last year, right?" She took a bite of a ham and cheese sandwich.

"I was Hermia. Jill was Helena." Chloe glared at her.

Kagami had the decency to look a little embarrassed. "That play was a mess."

"Everyone in love with the wrong person," Adrien snorted. He tossed an apple back and forth between his hands but didn't eat it.

"That's the point," Chloe said crisply.

"Titania is a better role." Marinette didn't look up from her sketchbook. "The rest are just exhausting."

"Agreed," Adrien said.

Marinette looked up and shyly met his gaze. Her blue eyes twinkled in the fluorescent lights.

"The point," Chloe said with irritation, "is that Juliet is the only good female role."

"You could alway play the nurse." Adrien covered his face as Chloe threatened to hit him.

"I cannot lose Juliet to Jill Baker!"

Marinette was looking at Chloe now, eyes wide with incredulity.

"She'll calm down once auditions are over," Lila mock whispered to Marinette.

Chloe's shoulders sagged. "Sorry."

"Don't sweat it, Bee." Kagami patted her shoulder. "You know how I am before a fencing match."

"And me before a fashion show," Adrien chimed in.

They looked to Lila.

Lila raised an eyebrow. "I don't get nervous like all of you do."

"Which you never hesitate to remind us of," Kagami said.

"Ok fine," Lila admitted. "I can be annoying too."

Adrien's eyes drifted to Marinette. Did he see her hiding a smile, maybe even a small laugh?

She met him gaze and smiled widely.

Chloe looked down at her clothes. "Speaking of sweat, I should probably go shower."

"Great idea." Adrien clapped slowly.

"Shut up, Chaton."

Adrien stood and pulled his chair in between Marinette and Lila. Lila scooted her chair over, obviously displeased that he'd crowded in on them.

"What are you working on?" He tried to peek.

Marinette flipped the sketchbook shut. "Nothing I'm ready to share."

"I thought you already turned in the design to Mr. Thackeray."

"I turned in a design. We have to turn in three but only one has to be made into an outfit."

Adrien hadn't exactly looked at the makeup work Nino and Lila had gathered for him while he was gone.

"Let's see it." He motioned to her book.

She held it close to her chest. "It's not the one I want to make."

"Okay." Adrien drew out the word, confused as to why she wouldn't let him see.

"Um." Marinette looked at him hesitantly. "Why does Chloe call you 'Chaton'?"

He shrugged. "Childhood nickname. She told me once I was a kitten who needed protecting."

Marinette made a noise that sounded a little bit like a scoff and a laugh.

"We were like eight," he said defensively.

"It's cute," she admitted.

"Marinette?"

Adrien recognized that voice. He had hoped he would never have to hear it again after last year. Sure enough, he looked up to see Luka Couffaine, his ex-roommate, standing behind Marinette's chair.

"Luka," she stuttered and pushed her chair away from the table. It made a loud screech. "Hi." Marinette seemed flustered, like she didn't know what to do.

Luka didn't notice, or didn't care. Before Marinette could say anything else, he scooped her into a hug.

"I am so sorry about your dad." He squeezed her shoulders and then pulled away. "I had no idea you were here until I talked to Juleka yesterday."

"No, it's not a problem," she rambled. "I probably should've returned you calls. I just haven't really been talking to anyone right now." Marinette's eyes widened. She grabbed her sketchbook from the table and he backpack. "Sorry, I have to go." She pushed past Luka and hurried through the cafe.

"Marinette, wait!" Adrien called after her.

"Hey, let her go." Luka grabbed him by the arm. "I think Marinette wants to be alone."

"How exactly do you know her?" Adrien jerked his arm out of Luka's grip. "And what are you talking about her dad for?"

"Remember the girlfriend I was always talking to last year? It was Marinette. We're not together anymore obviously," Luka said. "Her dad died a few months ago."

"What?" Chloe asked.

"What's she doing hanging around you?" Luka's voice was sharp.

"Group project," Lila said blandly from her seat.

After Luka left, Adrien sat next to Chloe. "Do you think she's okay?"

"You're really worried about her."

"Of course, I am. I know what she's going through."

Chloe's face grew pale. "Sorry. I wasn't thinking."

He sighed.

"Adrikins, do you like her?"

"Don't start, Chloe."

Her hand tenderly gripped his shoulder. "Luka was probably right. She needs time to herself. We can check on her later."

o.o I wonder how Marinette feels about all this?