Truth

"Where are you off to?"

Marinette halted to a stop on the main staircase. Because it was Saturday, the foyer was crowded with students coming and going for weekend activities.

"I was looking for you!" She hurried down to Luka, who stood at the foot of the stairs. He wore a baseball style fabric hoodie and had a guitar strapped to his back. "Your roommate told me you were headed out."

"I have a gig at a coffee shop," Luka said. "Are you headed into the city?" He stuck his hands in his pockets.

"Yes, actually." She stopped at his side. "Walk together?"

Luka pulled his hand out of his pocket and held out his arm. Marinette's slipped into it easily. It was like putting on an old sweater.

"I didn't know you played gigs," she said. They walked out the door. Marinette huddled closer as the wind swirled across her face. She was glad to be in her thick white sweater.

Luka frowned. "We missed out on a lot of each other's lives."

"I'm sorry," she said quickly, pausing on the pavement. Her arm slipped out of his, creating distance between them.

"No." Luka shook his head, strands of bright blue hair falling across his eyes. "I'm sorry. I wasn't there for you when you needed me."

"I'm the one who didn't answer your calls," she pointed out.

"But I should've tried harder."

Marinette squeezed Luka's shoulder. "Let's not talk about what we should've done. It doesn't matter now."

"Right," he replied. "Because we're friends." There was something strange about the way Luka said that word and how he wouldn't look Marinette in the eye when he said it.

A flash of blonde hair caught Marinette's eye. "Hi, Chloe!"

Chloe faced them. Her hair was down and curled around her rosy cheeks. She had on a long suede coat, light brown to match her heeled boots.

Marinette thought she looked pretty with her hair down.

"Hi," she said shyly. Chloe kept her eyes trained on Marinette, but they briefly flickered toward Luka.

"Luka, do you know Chloe?" Marinette couldn't have asked for better timing to introduce them.

"Yeah." She felt his body tense. Luka pulled away from Marinette's touch. "Who doesn't?" he asked coldly.

"Are you headed into the city?" Marinette kept the conversation from descending into an awkward silence.

Chloe scuffed her boot against the pavement. "I was headed to Luka's set actually."

Luka's eyebrows raised slightly, but it was the only emotion Marinette saw cross his face.

She couldn't have planned this, but it was perfect! "Oh great! You two can walk together."

Luka's blue eyes turned wide. "What are you talking about?" he hissed in her ear.

"I forgot something. Chloe can keep you company." Marinette gave him a playful shove in her friend's direction.

"I have to warm up," Luka hesitated. "The set doesn't start for an hour."

"Great! You two go ahead," Marinette said warmly. "I'll meet you there. Three thirty?"

"Three," Luka corrected her curtly.

"I won't be late!"

"But what do you have to do?" Chloe asked in bewilderment. She sent a pleading glance to Marinette.