Pieces

Marinette wasn't sure how long she'd been in the infirmary. She stared up at the fluorescent lights, breathing evenly to quell the nausea in her stomach.

Every time she closed her eyes, she could only see him with his blue hair, warm eyes, and pity-laced voice. There was a reason Marinette had never returned his calls.

"I'm so sorry..."

She had heard it all before. Marinette had come here to escape it, to get away from everything that had happened over the course of a few months. It had been so nice to be too busy to think about. To not be reminded in behind-the-back whispers and knowing stares.

Now they knew. Chloe and the rest. All the broken pieces she had wanted to forget were out in the open now. Marinette couldn't bear to think of speaking to them. Of having to explain, or hear one more "I'm sorry."

She grabbed her stomach and rolled onto her side, reaching for the trash can the nurse had left her. What little of her lunch Marinette had eaten made it's way back up.

"Poor thing," the nurse said from the door way to the front office. "I'm sure you'll feel better soon. Let me get you some Sprite." She turned, heels clacking on the tile floor.

Marinette leaned back again. She had barely escaped the cafeteria when a sick feeling over took her, almost forcing her to her knees. She stumbled to the nurse's office and through the door.

Marinette hadn't had anywhere else to go. Alya's period after lunch was a free period, and she couldn't risk her roommate stopping by and asking questions.

"What's wrong, dear?" The nurse had asked gently, noting the distress on Marinette's face. Her name tag read Evalyn Plake.

"I don't feel good. It's my stomach."

"Come lie down." Nurse Plake opened the door to the infirmary, where a series of beds lined the wall. She led Marinette to the one closest to the window at the far side of the room. "Some sunshine will do you good. Don't worry about your classes. I can write a note for you."

"Thank you," Marinette answered weakly.

There she had stayed, for minutes or hours, puking every so often. Nurse Plake returned with a glass of Sprite, which she nursed through the afternoon. The sun grew higher, until it finally began to set, and it grew dark outside.

Marinette rose and made her way to the office.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay?" Nurse Plake stepped out from behind her desk, anxious to help Marinette.

"No, thank you. I kept the Sprite down. I'll just hydrate." The bed in Marinette's dorm was far more comfortable than the infirmary beds.

Alya wasn't in their room when Marinette returned. She crawled onto her bed, pulling the quilt over her shoulders. Marinette resisted the urge to pull out her phone and swipe through family photos. She couldn't face it. If she could just sleep, everything would be all right in the morning.

When Marinette woke, Alya still wasn't back. Scrambling for her phone, she realized it was only dinner time, and her roommate was probably at the dining hall.

She had a few missed texts from Luka.

Almost instantly, Marinette was aware that she'd woken because someone had knocked on the door.

She hesitated on the bed.

Knock, knock, knock. It was gentle.

Marinette stepped onto the carpet, creeping softly to the door. She cracked it open.

Adrien's green eyes stared back at her. "Hi, Marinette."

"Hi."

"Can I come in?"

"Oh, I don't think it's a good idea."

"You can have dorm visitors until eight," he said.

"Well, all right." She swung the door open.

Marinette backed away and took a seat on her bed, still weak from being sick. It creaked under her weight. She pulled the quilt back around her shoulders.

Adrien was still in his uniform, but was wearing the brown coat she'd seen him in the day he had walked her home. He had a paper bag in his hand.

"I heard you were sick," he said. "I brought you some chicken noodle soup. And a drink!" He held up a can of Sprite.

"Wow, thank you. I didn't know soup was on the cafeteria menu today."

Adrien blushed. "It wasn't." He scratched the back of his neck. "I went into the city for it."

Her mouth opened in surprise. "You didn't have to do that!"

"I wanted to."

Adrien set the soup on her desk. "Are these your designs?" He looked at her open sketchbook. His hand lingered on one of its corners.

"Don't look at those!"

Marinette leapt from the bed, stumbling across the room. She reached to grab it, her hand landing atop Adrien's. It was her turn to blush. She pulled away immediately.

"Sorry," she mumbled. "I just don't want to share them yet." Marinette looked at the floor.

"You don't have to be nervous about showing us." Adrien tilted his head down to look her in the eye. "I've been amazed at everyone's talent in our track. I'll be no less amazed with you."

Marinette lifted her head, unsure how to respond. "Thank you for the soup."

"Of course." Adrien's head bobbed and he headed for her door. "I'll let you rest. And Marinette?"

She closed her eyes and grimaced. "Please don't say 'I'm sorry.' I've heard enough for a lifetime."

"Actually, I was going to tell you I lost my mom almost a year ago. So, I think I understand a little bit what you're going through."

Marinette opened her eyes. Adrien's face had frozen in pain.

"When?" she asked.

"November. She had cancer."

Marinette just nodded.

"Goodnight, Marinette." Adrien closed the door behind him.

She was beginning to think Adrien was a really good friend.

NEW ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: "just a friend"

I know most people find this kind of chapter boring, but I like characters to be alone with their thoughts. You learn so much about them!

I'm going to begin some story arcs now for Chloe, Kagami, and Lila as well as the main ship.