End of School Dance

Marinette smoothed the outer layer of tulle over her dress. It was the same dress she had worn at New Year's. She took one more glance in the mirror.

"Come on, girl." Alya tugged on her arm. "You look amazing."

"So do you," Marinette said, turning to her friend.

Alya had on a dress in deep red. It fell to her knees in a swish of layers. She had paired the outfit with some black heels and a red clutch.

"Let's go. We need to meet the boys."

They headed downstairs where they found Adrien and Nino waiting outside the gymnasium. The boys wore classic suits. Marinette was surprised it was nowhere near as creative as the outfit Adrien had worn for the fashion show. In fact, it was almost boring.

"Wow," Nino said appreciatively. "Alya, you look gorgeous."

She took his arm and they went inside.

"Nino stole my compliment," Adrien said. "But I must say, you look purr-fect!" His loose blonde hair fell in a pile of messy waves just the way Marinette liked it.

Marinette punched him lightly on the arm. "Thank you, Chaton," she used Chloe's old nickname for him.

She looked for Chloe as she came in and found her by the punch table with Luka. Marinette was so happy to see them together. They were such a cute couple.

After a few dances, Marinette and Adrien decided to take a break and get some punch. Lila and Kagami approached them. Lila looked beautiful in her blue dress, and Kagami wore a red kimono style dress.

"Are you having fun?" Marinette took a sip of punch.

Adrien continued handing punch out to his friends.

"Hmm," Lila nodded. "The end-of-school dance is always so fun."

"Not as fun without a date," Kagami grumbled. "You know, Marinette, Adrien used to dance with all of us."

"Really?"

"Yeah." Adrien scratched the back of his neck. "I'd usually come with Chloe, Kagami, and Lila and dance with everyone so they didn't feel left out."

"That's so sweet!" Across the room, Marinette saw Luka and Chloe dancing.

Suddenly, Luka pulled away and took his phone out of his pocket. He said something to Chloe before darting off the dance floor and out into the hall. Chloe just stood there, stunned. A moment later, she was heading their direction.

What was Luka doing? He couldn't just abandon his date like that.

"Why don't you continue the tradition?" Marinette said quickly. "I wouldn't want Lila or Kagami to feel left out."

Adrien blinked. "Are you sure?"

Marinette nodded ferociously. She needed to knock some sense into Luka. This was the perfect chance for escape.

"I do love this song," Kagami said longingly.

"Well, okay." Adrien took her arm and they walked to the dance floor.

"Is everything okay, Marinette?" Lila took a step closer.

"Oh yes, it's fine."

Chloe came up to them. "Luka left me on the dance floor—"

"Excuse me," Marinette interrupted. She set her empty glass on the table and hurried toward the hall.

***

Marinette was gone without any sort of commiseration. Chloe was appalled. She picked up a glass and chugged its contents.

"Slow down," Lila said. "I'm sorry about Luka. I guess we should have seen it coming."