12

Two days, since that day, had passed without any remarkable event to commemorate them.

The day Diana was terrified of had come, her first Defence Against the Dark Arts class with Moody.

The man had single-handedly made her weaponize her magic in a way she had vowed to never do, and it terrified her.

Diana picks a seat as far back in the classroom as she could get. There had been squabbles over who got the front seat, but Diana was still shaken from her last interaction with the man.

She pulls her copy of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection from her bag as the familiar thud of Moody's leg colliding with the floor draws the attention of all the students except Diana who was trying to bury herself in her hair.

"Alastor Moody," The man says in his growling voice as he writes his name on the chalkboard. "Ministry malcontent. And your new defence against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

None of the students say a word, all leaning on their seats to learn from the teacher who all of the students had been talking about since their lessons with him.

"When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?

"Three sir," Hermione answers.

"And they are so named?"

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will-"

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban," Moody finishes for Hermione as he writes on the board. Correct"

Moody slams the chalk down and turns to face the class, all of whom were engrossed and clearly absorbing every word he spoke, and his eye moves to the powerful witch who was trying to hide from his line of sight.

"Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!"

"Aw no way," Seamus whispers, but the class was so silent they could hear every word he said. "The old codger can see out the back of his head.

Moody turns quickly, launching the chalk he was writing with at Seamus, causing students to duck out the line of fire.

"So, which curse shall we see first?"

Diana feels a wave of nausea rise as she realises Moody was about to perform the Unforgivable curses in front of them all.

"WEASLEY!"

"Yes-" Ron's voice wobbles as he looks up to the professor.

"STAND!"

Ron gets to his feet, and it was clear he was terrified if his trembles were anything to go off.

"Give us a curse,"

"Well, my dad did tell me about one," Ron says and Moody nods encouragingly. "The Imperius curse"

"Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that," Moody says. "Gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why"

Moody pops open a jar with a spider in it and enlarges it to allow visibility for the rest of the class. Nausea continues increasing in her stomach as Diana's eyes lock on the spider.

"Hello. What a little beauty," Moody coos, strong the spider with his finger before pointing his wand at the creature. "Imperio!"

Moody begins to make the spider bounce around the classroom, landing on students.

"Don't worry. Completely harmless," Moody says. "But if she bites... she's lethal!"

Mad-Eye sends the spider onto Draco's face, and he begins to panic as laughter fills the classroom from every student apart from Hermione and Diana.

"Talented, isn't she?" Moody says laughing. "What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?"

Diana watches in horror as the colour continues to drain from her face.

The spider was hovering over the bucket, incapable of moving away but it was wriggling, its survival instincts clearly kicking in.

"Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only did you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse," Moody says. "But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars?"

Moody holds the spider once again as if he had not just almost drowned it for his own amusement.

"Another, another," Moody says, looking around at the students. "Come on come on. Longbottom, is it? Up"

Neville shakily makes his way to the desk and Moody speaks again.

"Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology,"

"There's the Cruciatus curse," Neville says and Moody nods enthusiastically.

"Correct! Correct! Come, come. Particularly nasty. The torture curse," Moody says, pointing his wand at the spider. "Crucio!"

Diana places a hand over her mouth as the spider begins to squirm under the spell, its squeals were actually audible, and the students shift in discomfort. Diana's eyes move to Neville whose eyes were clamped closed and his body shakes.

"Stop it!" Diana shouts, shooting to her feet and slamming her hands on the desk surprising everyone. "Can't you see it's bothering him? Stop it!"

Moody moves his wand away from the spider and Neville's face relaxes but he was pale and shaky. Diana gets to her feet and walks over to Neville, placing her hand on his arm.

"Come on Neville," Diana whispers softly, leading the boy back to his table.

"Miss Lovegood, you're very opinionated today," Moody says. "Stand where Longbottom stood"

Diana takes Neville's place, making eye contact with Harry who had a frown on his face as he takes in Diana's pale expression and unshed tears.

"Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse Miss Lovegood,"

Diana's mouth remains firmly shut as she shakes her head, refusing to give the man the satisfaction.

Hermione stares at Diana in concern as she feels the temperature in the room begin to drop before she does the unthinkable and turns to face Draco Malfoy who had also clearly noticed the change.

Draco flicks his eyes to Diana, clearly asking Hermione if she knew and a small nod confirms it for him.

"Avada Kedavra!"

Diana hears a small squeal escape the spider before it keels over, clearly dead.

The room was getting colder as ice began to climb up the window, causing Draco and Hermione to shoot up from their seats and run towards Diana whose eyes were clamped shut.

An unlikely duo, Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy, lead the shaking witch back to her seat.

The bell signalling the end of the lesson rings and Diana was gone before anyone could even check on her wellbeing.