18

The air in the Great Hall was practically crackling with the nervous excitement of the three schools. Halloween had befallen them and that meant one thing. The Champion Selection was upon them.

The feast was barely touched by the student population as impatience was filling the air, waiting for the wizened headmaster to finish his meal to allow for the selection to commence.

Finally, Dumbledore rises to his feet causing a hushed, excited murmur to sweep the hall.

"And now the moment you've all been waiting for, the selection of the champions!"

The flames inside the goblet switch from blue to a violent red as sparks began to fly from it. A large tongue of flame shoots into the air followed by a charred piece of parchment which flutters down into Dumbledore's hand.

The atmosphere was tense as if everyone in the hall was holding their breath, the anticipation so thick it couldn't be carved with the sword of Gryffindor.

"The Durmstrang champion is," Dumbledore waits a second and Diana swore you could have heard the wings of a butterfly with how silent it was. "Viktor Krum!"

A storm of applause fills the Great Hall as Viktor Krum rises to his feet. The Durmstrang students were stamping on the floor and banging on the tables as they cheer which causes Diana to roll her eyes.

Once Viktor was gone from sight, the cheering and applause died almost instantly as the flames sparked to life again, spitting out an elegantly folded piece of paper which was singed around the edges

"The champion from Beauxbatons Fleur Delacour,"

Diana claps along with the other students, the majority of them ignoring the mournful sobs from other Beuxbatons students.

"Merlin," Pansy rolls her eyes. "I don't think I've ever seen something so pathetic"

The flames turn red again and every Hogwarts student watched with bated breath as Dumbeldore was about to announce their champion.

"And the Hogwarts Champion is Cedric Diggory!"

Every single Hufflepuff leapt to his or her feet, screaming and stamping, as Cedric made his way past them, grinning broadly before he headed off toward the chamber behind the teachers' table.

"He is handsome," Pansy sighs and Diana nods.

"Excellent! We now have our three champions!" Dumbledore calls. "But in the end, only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory the tri-wizard cup!"

But Dumbledore suddenly stopped speaking, and it was apparent to everybody what had distracted him from his speech. The fire in the goblet had just turned red again. Sparks were flying out of it. A long flame shot suddenly into the air, and borne upon it was another piece of parchment.

"Harry Potter. Harry Potter?"

All eyes turn to the boy who lived who was sitting as if he was petrified, not a single muscle moved as his brain tries to register Dumbledore's words.

"Harry Potter!"

Hermione was the one to get the boy moving, she grabs his collar and yanks him to his feet before shoving him forward. Harry walks towards the front of the hall very slowly, taking the piece of paper from the Headmaster.

An uproar follows the announcement of Harry's name.

"He's a cheat! He's not even seventeen yet,"

Diana wasn't listening to the noise from the angered students, rather her eyes were locked on Harry.

The boy was terrified. It was painted across his face. His emerald green eyes were blown open wide and his jaw was clenched as he approached Dumbledore.

"CHEAT!"

"ENOUGH!"

All heads snap to Diana in shock. She was known to be soft-spoken and gentle so hearing her shout was a shock.

Once her actions had registered in her head followed by the copious amounts of eyes on her, Diana's eyes widen in terror. She looks to the teacher's table and locks eyes with Moody who had a wide grin on his face and she quickly realised why.

The temperature was plummeting in the room and her breathing was heavy. Diana gets to the doors and a hand grabs her wrist. She turns to see Damyan.

"Would you like accompaniment?"

"Leave me alone," Diana says.

"Diana-"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Cold air coats the students as sharp shards of ice sprout from the ground and point at Damyan. Diana's eyes were wide with terror as she looks at her hands before looking at the student population.

Fear.

They were scared of her. What she could do. So Diana did the only thing she could think of at that moment in time. She fled.

 She fled