Chapter 03

The next day my mother drove me to school. She parked the car and I said a hurried goodbye before getting out and walking towards the school.

I met Kira at the front steps, the girl giving me a bright smile.

"Morning," she said.

"Morning," I said back.

I was about to walk inside with Kira when I noticed my mother talking with another woman. I'd never seen her before, and I wondered who she could be.

"You coming?" Kira asked me.

"Yeah, I'm coming," I said, turning away from my mother and walking into school with Kira. We walked to our first class together, laughing and joking, before we quietened down because class started.

During class, my gaze strayed to Stiles, who was scribbling hastily in his book. I tried to see what he was writing and frowned when I found his arm in the way.

Our teacher for this class, a man we were supposed to call 'Coach' also noticed Stiles frantic scribbling.

"Stilinski, are you paying attention back there?" he asked.

Stiles ignored him and kept jotting down stuff I couldn't see. Kira and I glanced at each other in confusion before looking back at Stiles.

"Stilinski!" Coach said again, louder this time.

Stiles still didn't answer.

The boy I'd seen Stiles hanging out with earlier lightly shoved Stiles, but he wasn't deterred from his writing.

Finally, Coach blew his whistle and continued to do so until Stiles' head snapped up from his book

"Stilinski!" Coach yelled.

"Uh-huh?" Stiles managed to say.

He seemed confused and muddled, not to mention he was breathing hard.

"I asked you a question," Coach said, irritated.

"Uh, sorry Coach, what was it?" Stiles asked quietly.

"It was 'Stilinski, are you paying attention back there?'"

Stiles fidgeted with his pen as he looked up at Coach, twirling it in his hands. Once again, I tried to see what he had written down, but he moved his arm down so the only word I caught was 'wake'.

"Oh, well, I am now," he said.

Coach pointed at Stiles as he said, "stop reminding me why I drink..." he looked to the rest of the class before adding, "every night."

As Coach continued class, my eyes stayed on Stiles. For the rest of the class, he seemed out of it, and when it finally ended I went up to him.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked him as he walked out of class.

Stiles looked at me, a small smile gracing his lips before he spoke.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just didn't sleep very well last night."

I grimaced. "You must feel like crap today then."

Stiles' smile widened a bit at that, and a chuckle escaped him.

"To say the least," he said.

My lips curved upwards in my own smile at his words before we bid each other goodbye and went our separate ways.

I met up with Kira as she was walking and started talking to her. I had just laughed at something completely bizarre and hilarious that Kira said when I noticed my mother walking into a classroom with two other people.