Chapter 18

I was in the apartment, which I had found out belonged to Allison and her dad, and had just finished explaining to everyone that my mother and I were Fire Nymphs and how my mother had been training me and the problems I had controlling my powers.

After the fight, everyone had come back to Allison's apartment to regroup and so I could explain how I had shot fire out of my palms and defeated the bad guy.

So far, everyone had taken the news pretty well.

"So, have you always been a Fire Nymph and had trouble controlling your powers?" Scott asked.

"No, actually. I had the Fire Nymph gene, but I hadn't been a Fire Nymph until it was triggered," I answered.

They were silent, seemingly waiting for me to continue, but I had nothing to continue with.

"How is the Fire Nymph gene triggered?" Allison asked finally.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. My mother's keeping that, amongst other things, a secret from me."

"I'm going to Deaton to show him the scroll after this. You can come if you want and see if he knows anything about it," Scott offered.

"That sounds good," I agreed.

. . .

"I was wondering if you knew what could have triggered my Nymph genes?" I asked, trying to keep the hopefulness out of my voice.

I had just finished telling Deaton about everything and I was praying he had some answers for me. Before that, Deaton had explained that the scroll had said the best way to kill the Nogitsune without killing Stiles was to change the body of the host, which meant Scott giving Stiles the bite.

"I do, actually." Deaton said. "For a Fire Nymph's genes to be triggered, or any Nymph's for that matter, the Nymph needs to be in the presence of another supernatural creature besides her kin. It's likely that your mother didn't tell you because she doesn't want you to know about the rest of the supernatural just yet."

I was surprised and angry at the information, but more importantly, I was angry at my mother. How could she not tell me? What else was she hiding? Would I ever be able to trust her again?

"Did you have a peculiar feeling or vision when you met Scott for the first time? Or one of his supernatural friends?" Deaton inquired.

I was about to say no when I remembered something. It was the first day of school and I had been standing by my locker when I saw Scott, Stiles, Allison, and Lydia walk through the halls. As soon as I'd spotted Scott, all I could see was fire, and then it was over. I'd brushed it aside, thinking it had been nothing more than my imagination, but apparently it hadn't been.

"Yes, I did," I answered Deaton.

"That was the Fire Nymph gene inside you being triggered," Deaton explained. "Also, I feel I should warn you, using more of your power than you're used to using will leave you drained. A trick to get more energy is to be around heat. It can be from a fire, heater, or even body heat."

I was surprised at the last bit of information, and annoyed that my mother hadn't told me it first. I thanked Deaton for the information and Scott and I left the veterinarian, walking outside into the cold air.

"I need to go home and talk to my parents," I told Scott when he motioned for me to get on the back of his dirt bike.

"It's too risky," Scott said, shaking his head.

I sighed, annoyed.

"But Stiles is in Eichen House! And he has the poison in him! I should be safe for the night," I argued.