Chapter 06

I sat on a desk next to Kira at lunch with Mr Yukimura. He was talking to her about how she and I should have more friends.

"All I'm saying is, I don't get why you two are sitting here with me instead of in the cafeteria with the other kids," Mr Yukimura said.

I fished around in my pocket to find something to fidget with and found a lighter I stole from my parents' room one time and never returned.

"Maybe we want to keep you company," Kira suggested distractedly as she did something on her phone.

I flicked the lighter on and watched the fire before turning it off and then back on.

"You should be embarrassed to be seen with me. Not keeping me company," he said.

I stopped listening to the rest of the conversation, fixated on playing around with the lighter. I was distracted, thinking about how a murderer was somewhere close by and how Stiles had just left me, and I accidently brushed my thumb over the flame.

I stood up immediately, eyes wide. Kira and her dad looked at me with confusion and I managed to say something about needing to go to the bathroom before practically running out of the classroom.

As I left the classroom, I nearly ran into Scott, Stiles, and Lydia who were all talking in a little huddle by the window.

"Ah, sorry," I muttered breathlessly before moving past them.

Stiles called out to me, but I ignored him, turning the corner and finding the girl's bathroom where I locked myself in one of the bathroom stalls.

I sat down on the toilet seat, taking a deep breath, before taking out my lighter. Hesitantly, I flicked the lighter on and brushed my thumb over it, but nothing happened.

I did it again, and again, going so far as to even pressing the lighter directly onto my skin, but nothing happened. I felt no pain, and no burn marks appeared.

What was happening to me? Why was this happening?

I felt like I couldn't breathe. My thoughts were going too fast- nothing was making sense.

How the hell was this possible? What was I supposed to do about it? What did it mean? Did I have some sort of disease? Was I having a vivid hallucination? Was I immune to fire?

Even though whatever was happening was completely freaking me out, that last thought sent a little thrill through me. Being immune to fire felt like a superpower, even though it was a superpower I desperately didn't want.

What did this immunity mean? How did I get it? Was it like a disease and was slowly killing me? That though increased my panic as I tried to come up with an idea or solution to fix this problem. To fix me.

I couldn't just go to the hospital and tell them I was somehow immune to fire. What if the government decided to kidnap and experiment on me? What was I supposed to do then?

I stared at the lighter in my hand, feeling sick to my stomach. I've burnt myself from fire plenty of times before, so why was all of this happening now? What changed? What made me suddenly immune to fire?

I was snapped out of my panicked thoughts when the fire alarm rang, and students started streaming outside into the yard.

I threw the lighter in the toilet before walking out of the bathroom, trying to calm down, or at least pretend to.

I followed the other students, trying to act normal even though I was feeling anything but that, when I spotted Stiles outside. He was getting yelled at by Coach and something told me he was the one that pulled the fire alarm.