Chapter 09

I stared at the screen as my thumbs moved franticly on the controller, my tongue poking out of my mouth in concentration.

"No, no, no, no," Stiles muttered, his eyes glued to the screen.

"Yes, yes, yes, yes," I mumbled in reply, not daring to take my eyes off the screen to look at him.

It was the final seconds of the game and from the looks of it I was going to win. I did a weird thing with the controller and suddenly I had won.

"Yes!" I cried out, dropping the controller so I could fist pump the air.

"No!" Stiles moaned, slumping onto his bed in defeat.

I looked over to Stiles from where I was sitting at the edge of his bed and smiled smugly.

"I win," I bragged.

"No shit," Stiles muttered, crossing his arms. "Are you sure you've never played this game before?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"I guess I'm just a natural," I stated.

We had been playing a video game on Stiles' Nintendo switch which didn't need power to run, thankfully, and it seemed I was better than him at it.

Stiles glared venomously at me before throwing a pillow at me. I gasped in outrage before throwing one back and then the war started.

We were scrambling to get our hands on any pillow on the bed and throw them at one another. There was a lot of squealing, most of which didn't come from me. At one point, I managed to shove Stiles off the bed but at the last moment he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me down with him.

We landed on the floor with a thud, our chests pressed against each other. We laughed, sitting up, when I realised how close we were.

Our faces were inches apart, our noses almost touching. I looked to Stiles eyes only to see them already staring at mine. I licked my lips hesitantly drawing Stiles' gaze from my eyes to my lips.

My heart racing as I followed his lead, lowering my gaze to his soft lips. Stiles started leaning towards me and my eyes fluttered closed as I started leaning towards him. We were so close I could feel his breath on me and hoped he couldn't hear how fast my heart was beating.

Our lips were a breath apart when a phone started ringing.

I froze, my shoulders stiffening and my eyes opening. Stiles was looking at me with panic in his eyes as he slowly drew away.

I felt like I was going to vomit as Stiles looked down at his phone and then up at me, clearing his throat.

"It's Scott," he said awkwardly before answering.

I looked away from him, feeling my cheeks redden in embarrassment. What just happened? I nearly kissed Stiles, that's what. I covered my face in my hands even though my back was facing Stiles, feeling mortified. Stupid Scott. Why did he have to call right now? What was so important that he had to call right then and there, ruining whatever had been happening between Stiles and I?

Stiles cleared his throat again and I turned around to see him getting up off the floor.

"Uh, Scott needs me to help him break into the police station," Stiles said, avoiding eye contact with me. "Do you want to come?"

I nodded my head. "Sure," I said awkwardly.

We left his bedroom and got into his jeep, where Stiles put his keys in and started driving. The whole ride to the police station was silent as we sat awkwardly next to each other, not knowing what to say.