Chapter 08

I got to school bright and early, ready to talk to Kira and sort all this out, when I spotted Stiles. He looked my way and waved, and I decided a quick hello wouldn't hurt. I hadn't even spotted Kira yet, so saying hello to Stiles wouldn't ruin my goals for the day.

I walked over to the boy who was grinning foolishly at me and couldn't help the small smile that made its way onto my face.

"Hey Y/n, how you going?" he asked, a hint of nervousness evident in his voice.

"I'm still confused," I said, giving him a pointed look which he averted his gaze from. "But I'm feeling better."

Stiles looked at me again, nodding his head.

"That's good," he said, before taking my hand in his.

There was a nervous, fluttery feeling in my stomach, and I swallowed thickly, trying to act unfazed all the while jumping up and down giddily on the inside.

Stiles seemed to realise what he'd just done because he instantly withdrew his hand from mine, looking at the ground in embarrassment.

"I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to-"

"Don't apologise," I said quickly, cutting him off.

I instantly felt like an idiot and cursed myself for being so stupid. I said that way to quickly and eagerly, but Stiles only smiled, easing some of the nerves in my stomach.

"So, how are you dealing with power outage? We're basically in the Dark Ages," Stiles joked as he started getting some stuff out of his locker.

I snorted, rolling my eyes.

"I'm doing okay. The major annoyance I have is that I have to use my phone battery wisely," I told him. "What about you?"

Stiles instantly started talking about what a pain in the ass it was not to be able to use internet on his computer.

"...and my phone is already on 50% which sucks-"

Stiles suddenly stopped talking as he dropped his keys on the ground and looked at them strangley. He picked them up, brows furrowing as he observed them.

"What is it?" I prodded curiously.

"This key isn't mine," he said, inspecting one key in particular. "I'm not sure where it came from."

"Huh," I said, looking at the key. "Strange."

Stiles nodded his agreement, still looking at the key. I tore my gaze away and spotted Kira down the hall, staring at me hesitantly.

"I got to go," I told Stiles distractedly. "Have fun with your key."

Stiles mumbled something incoherent, not taking his eyes off his key, and I left him, walking towards Kira just as Scott walked up to Stiles.

Kira's eyes fell on me walking towards her, and then something behind me before turning around, and walking away.

I looked back for a second to see Stiles holding Scott back from walking up to Kira too and frowned. Why was he doing that? I pushed the question away and quickened my pace in an attempt to catch up to Kira.

I started full on running and finally caught up with her, but it seemed Kira wasn't in the mood to talk, since she completely ignored me.

"Kira, we need to talk," I told her.

Kira didn't answer, keeping her gaze focused ahead.

"Come on Kira, it's important," I whined, but she still ignored me, busying herself with getting her books from her locker while occasionally glancing at Scott.