Chapter 19

"Void," I breathed.

Void's lips curled into a smirk.

"Y/n," he said, his voice sending shivers down my spine. "I've been waiting to have you alone for a long time now."

My breath hitched at his words. I stumbled back a step, terrified. This couldn't be happening. I was safe. I was supposed to be safe.

Void took a step forward and I threw out my hand to stop him.

"Stop!" I said, my voice trembling.

Void tilted his head, looking at me with those brown eyes I used to know so well.

"Tut, tut. You should know better than to threaten me," he said, and took another step forward.

I was violently shaking. He was staring at me with a smirk on his face. Fear clawed at my throat. I had to get out of here. I had to escape. I couldn't let him take me. I tried to light a fire, visualising a giant flame leaping up and protecting me from Void, but nothing happened.

I tried again, and a measly flicker of fire appeared in my hand before extinguishing in smoke. Void smirked and quickened his pace.

I turned around, about to run when Void's hand clamped on my wrist, his grip unforgiving. He pulled me towards him, so my back was against his chest.

I stood there, frozen, as Void leaned in, his lips brushing my ear.

"You can't escape from me darling," he whispered. I took a deep breath, willing myself to stop shaking. Void laughed softly. "We're going to have such fun together."

Then everything went black.

. . .

I cracked open my eyes groggily, trying to figure out where I was. I was in an uncomfortable seating position, and there was a gag in my mouth. My eyes flew open the rest of the way when I remembered what had happened before I'd woken up. I looked around and found myself in an apartment. I realised with a jolt it was the apartment the Blackout party had been held in. I looked down, finding my hands tied tightly with rope.

Void was also there, leaning against the table. When I looked to him, his gaze slid to mine, almost as if he could sense my stare.

I averted my gaze, staring at the floor, and wondered whether my powers would work now and if I should try to burn the ropes binding me. I took a deep breath, focusing on making a small spark of fire to discreetly burn the ties away, when Void spoke.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," he said, his voice ringing out in the empty apartment.

I jerked my head up to look at him, my heart pounding in my chest. Void smirked.

"If you burn those ties," Void continued, his voice sickly sweet, "your friends pay the price."

I stared up at him from the floor, fear settling in my gut. Void took a few steps towards me, and I flinched, trying to move away.

Void frowned. "We'll have to fix that."

He walked away from me and turned to look out the window, not even giving me a second glance. I kept my face blank, hiding the confusion I was feeling. What did he mean by that? What was he planning?

My thoughts trailed to my parents and how I hadn't asked them about this. It was obvious they knew what was going on, but I hadn't gotton a chance to ask them about any of it because Scott needed to make sure I was protected. So much for that.

I was on one side of the room, and I couldn't see the door to the apartment, but I could definitely hear it. The door screeched open, and hope blossomed in my chest. Had the others come for me? Was I going to be saved?