Chapter 25: First Performance

The day of his first proper stage performance had finally come and Louis was nervous, to say the least. He and Legosi had decided to eat on the roof at lunch to get some peace and quiet from all the Drama Club talk and excitement in the general cafeteria.

"You'll do fine!" Legosi states after swallowing a bite of egg salad sandwich. "See, you keep saying that, but I don't know if that's true. Is it weird that I'm more nervous about this than any shootout the Market could ever throw my way?" Louis asks, worrying the bottom of his blazer with his left hand.

Legosi shrugged, "It's not, and I know why. You've been trained to fight and how to survive the Market for 10 years now, but you've only been practicing this play for like a month and a half. It's natural to be a bit nervous, but I assure you, from what I've seen at practice, that tonight is going to be fine."

Louis took a bite of his salad and pouted, half glad no one could see them up here. He sighed once he swallowed it. "The inner 9 are coming to watch tonight. I don't want to disappoint them," Louis mumbled.

Legosi shrugged, "Nothing you do will ever disappoint them. They seem to think you are the reason the sun shines every day. They'll be amazed and support you through everything you choose to do."

Louis blushed a little and looked down at his salad. He knew that, he really did, but it didn't make him any less nervous for it. "Is any of your people coming?" He just had to ask, get something else to focus on other than his lions and nerves.

Legosi shrugged, "Granpa is coming. I'm going to sneak him in to sit beside me up by the lights. I already gave the other student on lights a heads up but Granpa will be sitting next to me on the wall's side." Louis nods as he listens. The rest of the schoolday was going to feel like forever.

_______________°•○●○•°_______________

Legosi smoked a quick cigarette out back by the parking lot the school had while he waited for Gosha to arrive. Initially it had been an odd request from his grandfather to come to the show, since Legosi was just going to be working one of the lights. Gosha had still insisted he'd wanted to come and Legosi didn't have the will to argue with him, so here they were.

The familiar black car pulled up and parked, snapping Legosi out of his thoughts as he quickly put the cigarette out and threw the stub in a nearby trashcan before his grandfather could see it. He hoped Gosha was at least dressed somewhat normally, like society normal, not Market normal.

Thankfully, when Gosha got out of the car, Legosi exhaled a relieved sigh. His grandfather was dressed in faded blue jeans and a light brown flannel shirt, looking very much like a normal grandfather would. The gentle smile on his face also told Legosi the old komodo dragon was in granpa mode. Legosi's tail wagged slightly behind him as he walked over.

His granpa was one of the first people there for the show, so Legosi didn't have to put up too much of a scene to show the komodo wasn't dangerous. He hugged Gosha and said, "Want to go inside so long?" Gosha nods, "Sure, did you at least warn the rest of the Club?"

Legosi chuckled, "Just the puma working on lights with me. He's fine with it though, a little apprehensive, but fine." Gosha chuckled and followed the 14 year old into the auditorium.

Legosi had let Gosha climb up first and followed up after him, indicating to the left side where they'd be sitting, the shadows up here would block them from the general view of almost everyone.

Gosha sat down with his feet dangling off and rested his arms on the protective railing up there. Legosi sat down beside him and right behind the large light that he'd be maneuvering tonight.

It was a few minutes later that the puma clambered up and took his position behind the other light. More people were starting to come in now and finding seats for the show.