Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve : Blood, Tears, Mud and Scars

"How. Donkey. Dare. You?"

~ Third Person ~

Being an awkward, plump girl who had no social skills whatsoever, Eleanor Greening had trouble making friends. Through her entire first year she was all alone. Nothing but her books, homework and food to talk to. To be honest, she had felt pretty empty, as if she had no joy in her life. But all those thoughts didn't really mean anything. I mean... she was in Hogwarts for merlin's sake. She didn't have the time to mope around about being lonely. This was a school made up entirely of magic.

It's not like she didn't try to make friends. She did. But all her attempts failed. It was either because she didn't feel connected with the group or the group felt the need to mock her. It was just a mess. Of course, her being a bit insecure about her looks and smarts wasn't helping her out either. But, after coming back home for the summer holidays after a pathetic year, Eleanor promised herself that she would make friends. A friend even. It didn't matter. As long as she made one it wouldn't matter.

Eleanor had a goal but didn't have a single idea who she would befriend... well she had ideas... but she also knew how pathetic she was. They would never befriend her. The mischievous duo of Ravenclaw house. She hadn't ever spoken to them but she had seen them from afar and always heard them joking and messing around in the common room. Eleanor knew they were the kind of friends she needed... she wanted. Confident. Powerful. Smart. Nice. Weird. Friendly. Compared to her they sounded like Gods... or characters... yes characters from a book. They were all the main characters. Perfect and nice. And her. She was the small and weird background character with no confidence that doesn't even get a name but a title like 'the guy' which gets forgotten early on in the book. Eleanor rolled her eyes. What was she thinking? Now she was crazy and pathetic. The only people she really had a chance with was the study club.

The second year rolled in quickly and surprising, it seemed luck had somehow given her a huge opportunity. Sitting in her compartment, planning out how she was going to befriend someone, Eleanor was surprised at the large thump sound outside her compartment door and the sudden apperance of a dishevelled girl wearing a long olive green dress. She let out a long exhausted sigh before falling face flat on the seat opposite Eleanor. Her long blonde hair fell messily down her shoulders as she mumbled something into the seat. Confused and scared, Eleanor hesitantly poked the girl with her wand.

"Excuse me? Are you okay?" Eleanor inquired quietly, still frightened.

The girl quickly turned around, jumping up in her seat at the sight of Eleanor. She smiled sheepishly, waving.

"Hi! I'm Stacey Malfoy. I'm the only Malfoy who knows how to properly interact with humans." the girl said, out-stretching her hand for Eleanor to shake.

"Um, hello? I'm... I'm Eleanor Greening..." Eleanor replied, shaking Stacey's hand uncertainly.

"I know." Stacey stated, looking around the compartment. "I like your shirt." She pointed at Eleanor's favourite shirt that she was wearing. Eleanor blushed. Not only had she been somehow noticed by Stacey Malfoy but Stacey Malfoy had also complimented her favourite shirt. Friendship? No. She's just being nice. Stop being so self-centred.

Eleanor nodded awkwardly, waiting for something to happen. But nothing. Stacey didn't continue small talk. She didn't explain why she suddenly appeared in her compartment. And nor did she leave. She just sat there. Looking out the window, smiling in a carefree manner. And just as Eleanor was about to question her, another person bursted through the door, looking even more crazy than Stacey.