Chapter 26

Kenma doesn't remember if there was ever a time when a car ride with Suki was engulf in silence, except for when the little girl is asleep during the ride, it was never this silent when she's sitting in her seat.

And whenever Kenma would pick her up from school, Suki would always be talking about her day. But today, Kenma noticed she had been silent throughout the ride. He would glance her way once in a while and Suki would either be looking out the window or playing with her fingers.

He didn't bother saying anything, because other than knowing that Suki wouldn't answer him if he were to talk to her, Kenma's mind had been quite preoccupied with what happened a little while ago.

When that man suddenly called him earlier, Kenma's first thought was the man probably knew his private limited Company or that he had seen his stream before. But it was neither.

Instead the man asked Kenma if he's Kana's younger brother. The mention of his older sister's name and Suki's birth mother had made Kenma unable to respond right away, and all he did was nod. The man gave him his business card before telling Kenma to call him whenever his free because he wants to tell him something.

Whatever it is, Kenma felt like he doesn't want to know. But at the same time, he wanted to. He's torn between keeping the business card and throwing it away right then and there. But the part of him that wanted to keep it was stronger than the part that wanted to throw it out.

When he got to his apartment complex, and even in the lift, Suki had been quiet until they finally got inside the unit and the little girl took off her shoes before running ahead.

"Suki," Kenma finally called and walk after her.

You who were on your way back from the kitchen were suddenly surprised when the little girl suddenly bumped into you and before she can stumble back, you steadied her up.

"Are you hurt?" you asked right away, holding her shoulders as you bent down. "Why is Suki-chan running?"

The little girl had her head lowered until you noticed her shoulders started to tremble and you thought she might have been hurt when she bumped into you. "I'm sorry, where does it hurt?"

She shook her head, hand rubbing her eyes before she run past you and to her room.

"Suki-chan," you called after her, not quite sure why she's suddenly acting like this until you got to her room and saw the little girl sitting on her bed, blanket wrapped around her small frame while she has her back turned on you and you heard small sniffs and hiccups from her.

"Suki-chan?"

"D-Daddy," she started.

"Suki," Kenma's voice came from the hallway until he as well got to the little girl's room while you sat on the edge of her bed.