𝟣𝟩

Rengoku's Pov

Rengoku's Pov

I've—

—Always liked her. The girl from freshman year to now. The girl whose buoyant laugh rang through my ears for going on 4 years. The girl who painted my mind every few nights before I could go to sleep. The girl whom I would get bad grades on assignments because I was too busy daydreaming about her. The girl who swore to my face that she hated my every fiber of being, yet would grace me a small smile here and then.

I always knew I was in love with Y/n L/n from the very first moment I met her.

Whether she spat her curses to me or shot me a disdainful look when she caught me staring at her during classes. I couldn't wrap my head around why I still liked her for the longest, why I couldn't find anyone else to make me feel how she did. Hell! I even thought I was a masochist at some point from the way I would get excited when she spoke harshly to me.

I didn't know why my heart would flutter when I saw her being joyful and in high spirits with others, but never me. Maybe it was her smile. Or her energy she exuded. Maybe, just maybe: because it was her true self she showed...

I've always had an inkling that how she treated me was never true and her true feelings were bared deep down somewhere in that big heart of hers. So, maybe that's why I stayed true to my own. Because if I was persistent enough I could see her flourish beautifully with me. But every now and then I would brush it off as wishful thinking, because boy oh boy she could write me my last check any day of the week. No hesitation, or if's and's nor but's.

Yet, I stayed...

And as of late, after I had made my "friend" confession, she distanced herself from me. Now I may be books smart, but I know you just don't ghost your friends for no apparent reason. Jesus, sometimes I wish I could take a look inside that beautiful mind she's got, maybe find out if she likes me t-

"Aye, Ren. Ain't that your girl over there?" Ah, yes. I remember I'm at this party.

I didn't want to go because that one guy who hangs with Y/n was throwing it. Or some shit like that. I couldn't give two fucks about him or his party, especially not after he purposefully threw a basketball at her face... But for the guys, I promised I would go. Now I couldn't promise to stay out of a fight if he approached me wrong or approached me at all... I can only do so much as a human being-- shoot me.

But once I heard those strange words come out of his mouth I thought about someone. I turned to him and laughed dryly and suspicious that someone had done some digging through the past. "What are you talking about, I'm not with anybody?" I scoffed at him lightheartedly. I'm safe, no one but Kanroji and Obanai knows.