1

"Gah, its hot as balls today", I sighed as Liz pathetically wafted herself with a flimsy paper fan. We were sprawled out across the room. Her lounging on the dark blue sofa, the plump cushions discarded onto the carpeted floor. Me, laying in a starfish position on the circular bed which was jammed into the corner of the room. "Do you even have any more customers today?" She asked, her arm waving in my direction.

"I don't." I grinned "But its cooler in here then out there..." Salvos summers were unforgiving. They consisted of hot humid air, sweaty people, and short tempers. Freedom fighters even took it easier during the summer days. Most opting to guard beaches or hide away in busted buildings. Liz and I had been sat in this dim room since morning, both of us trying out best not to melt into the silk that surrounded us.

"I have a meeting today..." She mumbled.

"With who." I rolled onto my side and propped my head up with my hand.

"You know who... I'm dreading it. The soldiers have backed away from our city for the time being so she's looking to pick a fight with one of us."

"Us? Who is us? You know damn well I hate getting involved in your drama..."

"This isn't drama. This is serious business. She hasn't paid Benzo back and I have to clean it up. She can't keep demanding gadgets and then not paying the price. I mean, you make half of them, this is your wage I'm fighting for!" Her voice progressively got louder, and I snickered to myself.

"Yeah yeah, I know. Mad Maggie keeps us all on our toes... I can come with you if you want." I offered. She immediately sat up.

"You? You?!" She said, covering her mouth with her hand "Shed eat you alive. Damn even FitzRoy would take a good bite out of you."

Rolling my eyes I said, "Last time I ever try to help you" She huffed before standing up. I stared at her, admired her masculine frame. Her back was strong with marks lined across it, her shoulders were wide with slightly thicker arms. She whipped her jacket around her body, making sure it covered her bare breasts before leaving. The door slammed and I heard her heavy boots hit the stairs before leaving through the side door and into the street.

"I should get up..." I mumbled, huffing before lying on my back. "Definitely..." With a groan, I was up. I had quite a bit left to do. There were no more customers, but Benzo liked the shop cleaned before he came back from the pub. Slowly making my way downstairs, I paused. There was a ticking at the front desk. I quickly pulled myself behind the archway leading into the main shop and listened. There was just this... thudding. "Liz?" I foolishly asked. "Liz is that you? I told you, you can hang around here." I braved myself before walking into the main shop.

A woman was leaning against the shabby wooden desk. She was tapping her foot impatiently. When her eyes locked with mine, they lit up. Her eyes weren't filled with anything... malicious. Just curiosity.

"Well, Benzo didn't tell me he had an assistant." She said, confidently pushing herself away from the desk and taking 2 steps towards me. I braced myself to run, preparing to turn away and sprint into the street, not that anyone would help me. Her skin was a light brown with scars, scabs and scratches covering it. Her skin darkened around her nose bridge and cheeks, indicating she spent too long in the sun. She wore a black vest top that had too many holes in it. Her black studded belt hung too low on her hips to be functional. Her pants were baggy and in a cargo print with mismatched patches carelessly sewed on. She had multiple freedom fighter tattoos on her arms. "Names Maggie, what's yours?" She questioned, leaning towards me. I hesitated.

"(y/n) ..." I said, looking up to meet her curious amber eyes.

She gave an approving hum "How long you been working here?"

"6 months... Benzo hasn't let me out onto the desk yet."

"I can see why." She smiled. Her teeth were surprisingly straight, white too. "Say, do you know when he'll be back?" I shook my head, keeping my guard up, I took a step away.

"It'll take him a while... He doesn't come home early on a Sunday." She nodded, clearly loosing interest in the conversation. She sighed. "My... my friend, Liz, said she had a meeting with you? About... money." Shit. Why did I say that? I should've kept my big mouth shut. Now, she was looking at me again.

"Was she now? First I've heard of it." She rolled her head on her shoulders, several bones in her neck gave a loud crack, "First I'm hearing of it... Guess I've left Wally in a bit of a pickle, eh? Better go deal with that." She sighed, spinning around on her heel before snatching a worn-down leather jacket from the desk and walking past me towards the door. "If you see Benzo, tell him Mad Maggie wants a word with him." And with that, the door slammed shut behind her, leaving me alone in the darkening room.