27

I remember the first time I ever met Liz. I remember being in Benzo's shop, a glass of water clutched in my hands. I was nervous. My son's father had just died, and I was sent to benzo, I was promised that he would protect me.

I was sat on a stool in his bedroom, the curtains were drawn, only a measly lamp in the corner of the room was turned on. I was positioned beside his personal workbench, and I was facing the door. I took the glass to my lips and sipped; the water was disgusting. It felt... thick and salty?

"Yeah, you do not wanna drink that." She laughed. I remember her voice was... comforting. I hadn't talked to a woman in so long. While I was trying to think of a response, something witty, something that would make her want to stay with me; she walked towards me, crouching down in front of me. "Wow I didn't know you were that pregnant." She smiled and I tried to reciprocate it. I placed the glass on the workbench before tugging my shirt lower. "Can you not talk or something?"

"I talk." I said, she smiled again.

"How far along are you?" I hated when people talked about my pregnancy. It was hard enough feeling them bang against my bones, press against my organs, and kick me every day. It just annoyed me. She laughed when she saw my scowl, however she didn't speak. I sighed reluctantly.

"I'm 7 months."

"Jesus! 7 months and you're like that!"

"That is so-" I stood up, bracing myself. My balance was thrown off and I quickly gripped her arm. She straightened up and helped me. "Its two, there's two of them. That's why I'm so big."

"Twins? Aww."

"Not aww, they're so... rough. It's like they're already angry at me."

"Nah, they're just little fighters." She crouched down.

"If you talk to my stomach right now, I will kill you." I laughed as she stood up and shrugged.

"You decided on names?" I groaned.

"No, ill decide when they're here."

"That's not a good system, what if you don't think of anything?"

"Then they won't have a name I guess." I turned my head away from her.

"Boys or girls?"

"Can't it be both?"

"Sure."

"I don't know... the woman who checks me over says it hangs like im having girls." She smiled. "But it doesn't matter to me."

"Are you keeping them?"

"What?" I asked quickly snapping my head back towards her.

"Your like... so young, you can't raise two kids! I assumed you would-"

"Put them up for adoption? No, I can't. I already looked into it. They'll get shoved into a cramped children's home. They're better off with me." She chuckled.

"And Benzo."

"Benzos nice."

"You're assuming."

"No im- shut up." I wafted my hand at her, she grinned before walking towards the door. She hesitated before leaving.

"If it's a boy... I like the name Carl."

After that, Liz was bound to my side. Not by choice but she never complained. When I gave birth, and I was struggling... she helped me. She would rock them, sing to them, change them. For months, she did the things I was supposed to do. I guess that's why Carl's death hit her so hard...