24

It didn't take long before I received a call from Maggie to meet her at the 'headquarters.' She sounded frustrated and panicked. I asked Walter to drive me, and he did so with no complaints.

When I pulled open the large wooden doors of the Church, I saw Maggie's inner circle of workers all stood around one point at the very end of the aisle. Maggie herself was sat on the furthest pew, her leg bouncing up and down. Sweat drenched my palms, my heart began knocking against my chest. The atmosphere was almost murderous.

"Maggie." I said slowly, she jumped up from her seat. Her face softened before her scowl returned. She ushered me over to her. When I was next to her, 2 people moved away from the focus point. What I saw didn't really surprise me.

There was a man, probably a solider, tied up to a chair. He had cuts and scrapes dashed along his skin. He had been stripped of his clothes, they sat dotted around the church. He himself looked terrified. His eyes were wide when he saw me, he mouth hung slightly open. Maggie pushed me forward and I took a step towards him. She gently stroked my back as a means of support, it didn't work. This wasn't anything strange to me or out of the ordinary. Sometimes, she would ask me to come in for integrations ... she's just never been like this before. So anxious, so angry.

"Your (y/n)?" He asked, his voice cracked.

"Yeah, whose asking?"

"I-I can't tell you my name-" The sound of skin being ripped, entered my ear and made me shudder. A woman with short hair had whacked him on the back with a belt. He lurched forward.

"That wasn't necessary." I said, taking another step closer. Maggie urgently reached out and grabbed my hand, pulling me back towards her. "Its fine, I don't need to know your name."

"Madera sent me to give you some instructions." I didn't respond "You remember her? Madera?"

"Yes." I abruptly said. "I don't care what pissin instructions she has for me. She can shove em up her arse and so can you." I was ready to walk out. I was dreading this day. The day she would reach out. I always hoped that she would leave me to rot on Salvo, especially now.

"Please... I-I have to tell you. You don't have to act on them, that's what she said! She said the decision was yours to make!" He was desperate. I didn't know why. He was going through all of this for what? He could just return to his station and tell them that he had delivered the instructions and I had declined. But instead, here he was. Accepting beatings and lashings just for the possibility that I would do anything that monster told me to.

"Ill listen." Maggie squeezed my hand.

"She said..." He exhaled "She said the steps are on paper and they have already been delivered to your house." He sighed.

"What?" Maggie chimed in. "What the fuck do you mean?"

"Mags, check this guy doesn't have a camera or anything." I whispered in her ear. "Ill go home."

"Like fucking hell, you will." She shouted, nodding at the people that were now staring at her, waiting for their orders. They moved quickly, dragging the chair into the small workshop room. I held my face in my hands. "Hey." She said, placing her hand under my chin and lifting it up. "We're going home. We're going to burn that damn paper before anyone reads it, ok? Your mum aint getting nothing from you, ok?" She said softly. I nodded and she gently kissed my forehead.

We arrived at home only 20 minutes later, the car ride was silent, both of us too nervous to say anything. She burst in first, stopped when she saw Walter in the kitchen. He was leaning against the countertops, sipping a drink from a chipped mug. He lowered the mug and placed it next to a piece of paper. Maggie almost lunged for it, but he snatched it up.

"This isn't yours Maggie." He sternly said, he held it in the air. He looked at me and tried to pass it over. Maggie was able to take it though, she turned her back to us and frantically opened it.

"Maggie!" I shouted. Walter sighed, taking another sip of his drink. He closed his eyes when she turned around.

"Like fuck she is!" She yelled.

"This isn't your choice Mags." He spoke. "(y/n) is perfectly capable of-"

"No." she said. She gripped the paper with both hands, her intention was to rip it in half.

"Maggie let me read it." I said, holding out my hand.

"I thought you didn't want to see her again."

"Is that what it is? An invitation to see her? Mags you know I would never accept something like that." She looked at Walter, he shrugged. Before I could get another word in, she tore the paper in two. I shouted her name, she ignored me and ripped it again before shoving two bits of paper into her mouth and swallowing.

"Your so weird when you do that." Walter mumbled.

"What the fuck!" I threw my hands in the air as Maggie walked out the room. I gave Walter a desperate look, he exhaled sharply.

"It said that Madera wanted to meet Johnny. She said word of Carls death had only just reached her and she wanted to meet her only grandson before the 'Salvonian savages' took him away. She wrote that there would be a ship at the Needah military camp, waiting for you for 3 days and 3 nights. The choice was yours, she kept insisting that." I was stunned for a second "(y/n), don't let Maggie make this decision for you. If you leave, she'll be pissed by she'll get over it. Don't lead your life by her example."

"I-" I couldn't find anything to say. She wanted to meet Johnny. That was bullshit, right? I mean she has shown no interest in them, she's offered no help! "When I was pregnant, I wrote her a letter begging for her help. I-I said they couldn't remove them because I had waited too long, and I needed my mother to help me. You know what I got back from her Walter? Huh? A generic letter telling me that my submission would be reviewed by her in due time. She's never written back to me. Never!" I felt a few tears run down my face. Walter didn't reply to me, he just reached over and squeezed my shoulder.

"You have three days to think this over. I know you'll make the choice that's best for both you and Johnny."