21

"You have a choice to make (y/n)." My mother said, her hands on her hips. "You let her go, their symbol of resistance lives on, and people will say our family is weak. You kill her, we show our strength, and they will become submissive" I didn't look at her, I couldn't. She had been training me for weeks, instilling the idea that murder is the only option. It's the only way to show dominance. To keep our family alive.

"I-" I couldn't say anything. "Keno says that mercy isn't weak."

"Your brother will say anything to secure his place as heir. I know (y/n) that you have it in you. Be like him. Be like me. Be like Nadya."

Be like Nadya. That comment still makes me laugh to this day. Nadya (l/n). The one who started this. The one who bled and struggled so we could bring light to the darkness. So we could illuminate the way for people. She didn't die for this.

"The girl will..." I looked up at her. For the first time since she walked in, I looked at her. She was beautiful. A soft round face, rich warm brown skin, large black eyes that were framed by long eye lashes. She looked around my age, maybe a year older. But she was young. Too young to understand why she was here. A 7–8-year-old cannot grasp the reasons behind why her life is being debated like this. "She'll live. Show the people we are merciful and kind, that is what Nadya wanted."

My mother let out a disappointed sigh.

"One day you will learn. Killing the weed isn't enough, you must rip it out by the roots." With that, she turned around on her heel, snatched a gun from the solider that was stood beside her; and shot the girl.

That memory always finds a way to sneak back into my mind. No matter how hard I try to push it away, it always comes back. Especially now. After Carls death, all I could think about was that girls face. She died for mistakes her parents made, for a resistance they ran, and she had no part in. I am killing soldiers for a mistake another group made, for a murder they committed, and the soldiers had no part in.

"You ok there? Squirmin' a lot..." Maggie muttered, squeezing my shoulders, and pulling me closer to her. Ever since that night a few weeks ago, we've grown closer, closer than we were before. She's more intimate now, more comfortable. Well, she is in private anyway. Most of our nights are spent together, mostly in my bed. I kept asking her if we could go to her house and she always just said 'Nah mate, Wally wouldn't leave us alone'. I knew this was probably a lie but I wasn't willing to pry further.

"Mhm, im ok. Just thinkin'." I said softly. She hummed. She's never responsive when she first wakes up, opting for humming and ahhing and anything I say. We normally just sit in silence until we get too hot and have to move.

"Penny for your thoughts?" She said, tilting her head so she was looking at me. I looked up at her and smiled.

"What are you 50?" I laughed quietly; she flicked my nose with her free hand.

"I can just go back to sleep if you want." She groaned before arching her back. "Or I can listen to whatever's upsetting you." I sighed as she settled back down.

"I'm thinking about my mum again."

"Ah." She said, "What about her?" I exhaled loudly.

"Nothing good. Mainly about how im scared that im becoming what she wanted me to."

"And what was that?"

"A solider. Well not a solider, but someone with that mentality y'know? The mentality to kill without remorse, to do anything to protect a cause or a leader or a way of life." She placed her forehead against mine "Am I becoming that? I mean this time last year I never would've dreamed that I had to capacity to kill. I've always been against it, I always looked down at my family for their propensity for violence..."