11

The light hurt my eyes, causing me to squint. I raised my arm to cover my face and felt a twinge of pain. My mind was hazy, I couldn't string together a coherent line of thoughts. All I could do was keep my arm hovered over my eyes. My other senses took a while to properly engage but once I was back to normal it all hit me at one. The smell of bleach and soap, the constant slow beeping, a dripping noise, and finally the dryness of my throat. I removed my arm and glanced around the room.

Despite being quite small, it had a large window to the left side of the bed. It was tall and thin with great long sheer curtains draping at its side. The top of the window was open, and the smell of cigarette smoke slowly made its way into the room. Only then did I remember what had happened.

I had met up with Daniel and I was shot. My mind was still too foggy to remember all the details, but I remembered the pain. Nothing else after that.

I returned my attention back to the room, mainly for an escape route. I threw my legs over the side of the bed, my bare feet hitting the floor. A cold breeze hit my body and I realised that I was naked. With a frustrated sigh, I stood up, keeping my arm over my breasts as i walked towards the wooden wardrobe that stood opposite the bed. Something pulled me back. I looked down and saw an IV stuck into my arm. These people had medical supplies, expensive ones at that. A heart monitor and an IV drip sat at the side of the bed. I braced myself before yanking the needle out of my arm, I flinched as blood trickled out of the wound. "Fuck, fuck, fuck." I grabbed the bleeding area and started frantically searching around the room. Every drawer I opened, every compartment I checked was empty.

I sat on the edge of the bed, the pale white sheets becoming stained with the small droplets of blood falling from my arm. It was only a small prick; the bleeding would stop eventually. I sighed, dropping both of my arms to the side of my body. I could always just wait. Someone would come to get me.

It seemed like whatever medication I was on was slowly started to wear off because I felt a sudden throbbing pain come from my hip. I swore, glancing down. There was a large bandage secured diagonally around my hip and up to my waist. They were clean. Someone was clearly taking care of me here.

Wait, how long had I been gone? Panic set in as I thought of my sons. My sweet boys were probably so scared. They didn't know where I was, and I didn't know where I was. Was I even on Salvo anymore? Don't be insane, we need to calm down and think. Just think for a second.

I took a deep breath, im thinking. Im naked, im thirsty and im bleeding ever so slightly. Not a good combination. I need clothes and I need water. I don't have a weapon. I should sneak out into another room, maybe a supply closet if they have one. Yeah, that's a good idea.

"Im telling you shes still asleep, you're probably just hearing the guys outside." Shit, fuck, no. I gasped before throwing myself under the blankets and closing my eyes. The door opened and I realised, my IV! Maybe they won't notice.

I heard footsteps come over to my right side and heard breathing very close to my face. I tried so hard to ignore it, to just lie there. "You see I told you." It was a man, his voice had a thick Slavonian accent, he was one of us.

"I heard something though." It was another man, his voice was weirdly familiar "Look mate all im saying is she needs someone there when she wakes up, I mean the boss didn't really go easy on her, did he?" 'mate', I knew who this was. I had to bite my cheeks to fight back a smile. Walter. Walter was here, I was safe. Or I was completely fucked. But judging by his soft tone of voice and the hand he placed on my shoulder, I felt safer.

"Well no one is permitted to sit with her, I was being nice letting you sit outside but it has to stop. You have jobs to get done Walter, the longer you stay here, the worse Maggie will be." Walter sighed.