10

This was the right place, I was certain. The note said to 'head to the abandoned military camp to the West of Needah ASAP, I'll meet you there'. I found the note in my room after I had closed the shop. I didn't know how it got there and to be honest I was too scared to find out. However, I decided to follow its instructions without questioning it too hard. Was it dumb? Very. Did I care? Not really.

The location it had taken me to was an old camp that had to be evacuated when a group of freedom fighters threw mustard gas through the open barred windows. It was a relatively small camp, just an L shaped building with a few looted trucks parked outside. I stumbled towards the front door, unsure of what to do. One of the steel doors was blown off the hinges, the other was opened towards me. I peered inside only to see darkness, not even the moon was able to illuminate the inside.

I backed away, crossing my arms over my chest. Where am I supposed to go? My thoughts were interrupted when I heard footsteps walking towards me. My heart rate increased, my palms became sweaty, and anxiety took over. I froze in place, my back turned to whoever was behind me.

"Do you remember me?" It was him. Daniel was stood behind me. A voice in the back of my head told me to run, not to trust him.

"I remember." I said confidently. I refused to turn around.

"I have a- um a proposition for you, if you will." His tone sounded... different. He sounded nervous. There was a slight shake to his voice, and he was stumbling over words. He wasn't talking as fast as before.

"Go on..." I spoke, I heard him take a deep breath.

"I work for a group of Freedom Fighters, not on the front lines... as you could've guessed... but I'm an engineer. I dwell mainly in weapons, grenades... that sort of thing. Uhm... You had an encounter with one of our newbies... well she's not new, she's been harassing our group for years now- "He paused, took another deep breath and carried on "Mad Maggie, she's nicknamed herself. She somehow got you to help with our Donnell situation, she's earned your trust it seems. So, uh anyway, as I'm sure you aware- "

"You want me to help build a titan, right?" God that was painful.

"Did she tell you?"

"No, I figured it out while you were rambling." I sighed and turned around. He was still wearing that jacket; the hood still covered his face. He had his hands in his pockets and he was slouched over.

"Oh." He looked further down at the ground. "Well, yes. You'll be paid for it, obviously."

"How much?"

"You'll find out later."

"Why were you acting all scary when I first met you."

"I'm not being scary now?" He asked, he brought his face up and I caught a glimpse of it. Deep hazel eyes looked back at me, his nose bridge was thin, and the end of his nose was wide. I could faintly make out scars and wrinkles across his face. He shook his head, lowering it.

"Not really..." I spoke.

Click. "What was that?" I asked, taking a step back from Daniel. "Daniel?" Click. Again. It was loud, loud enough for Daniel to jump each time it happened. The sound was familiar, and it didn't take me long to figure out that it was the sound of the safety being clicked off an R301. The click came from 3 different direction, north, south, and west. My east was clear, though if I tried to run, it would take me away from Needah.

"I'm really sorry." I heard him mumble. That was the last thing I heard before an ear shattering bang filled the air. I felt a heavy pressure applied on my back, just above my left hip. I heard skin tearing, the red-hot bullet burned my inside, it grazed along my bones before halting. I just stood there, in shock as pain ripped through my body. For a second, I couldn't figure anything out. For a second, I was back, back in Noxus, back home. But once that second was up, everything went black. 

-----------------

THIS IS SO SHORT but it felt wrong to write anything after the shot, yknow, suspense.