35

She was alive. Maggie. She was here, stood at the other end of the room. She was frowning, leaning against the wall, her hands still shackled. The entire ship was silent; you could hear a pin drop. I frantically glanced towards Walter, he was staring at the ground, his hands balled into fists.

"I can't..." Suddenly, I heard something click. Walter sighed as a voice above us shouted that the ship was about to set off. While walking past me, Walter patted me on my shoulder. He sulked off to the couch in the middle of the room and threw himself down. Maggie's chains clicked, freeing her, and she stepped forward, using her hands to crack her neck. She didn't head in my direction, probably because of the soldiers that appeared by her room. The watched over her, squinting their eyes.

I knew I had to leave but a part of me was scared that I wouldn't see her again. That I would come back to see her, and she would no longer be here. One of the guards gestured towards the door and I sighed. None of the legends paid me any mind, all returning to what they were doing. All but loba, she placed her hand between my shoulder blades and calmly led me out of the ship. I gave her an apology, she kissed my cheek and told me not to worry.

For the rest of the day, I watched her. Never in my life had I sat through an entire Apex Game. I thought they were pointless, a stupid technique for the syndicate to gain more public approval. My opinion didn't change by the end of the game. Maggie didn't win. Instead, Lifeline, Octane and Revenant won the title.

It was... strange to watch her. Bittersweet to hear her degrade people, call them an egg. She hadn't changed. She plastered the biggest grin on her face when a large man handed her a shotgun, and I couldn't help but smile with her. To others, she was threatening. I watched the way they cowered, shook, trembled when she stood above them. She was clearly a little off her game though as she was caught out by woman who threw a smoke grenade at her. She stumbled about a bit, aiming the gun at nothing in particular before she was sniped from a different building. Her teammates couldn't get to her in time, and I sighed.

I tried to think of a way to see her again. Going on the dropship wouldn't work, no. I needed her to come here. I learned what she was charged with, and I agreed with her... it was bullshit. Though, maybe I was biased...

I contacted the place where she was being held. I told them my name, my position and said I would like a meeting with her.

"Meeting? Sorry, prisoners like her don't get meetings."

"Not in the prison-"

"That's even worse!" The man on the phone said, I took a deep breath. "Look, im sorry miss (l/n). I understand who you are, but this cannot be done... Not without the other members of the syndicate's knowledge."

"Are you sure?" I asked him, biting my nails, "Look, it would be an hour or so... Its to discuss her trail, her performance in the games... I can't get her anywhere else. I promise, no one will find out..." The man hesitated.

"Look miss, I like what you have to say on your broadcasts. Im Noxian myself so you're really... important to me and loads of other people in my house. I... I will see what I can do. Miss Kohere is very high-risk personnel, are you sure you wouldn't want to meet her in a secure place."

"Im sure, I want her to be comfortable. My home is where we'll meet. Thank you for looking into this; if it goes... crazy I promise ill defend you. The blame will not be placed on you."

"Not a problem, thank you." The call ended. All I could do was wait.

The only good thing to come from my rise to power, has been my influence over people. Im respected, well-liked. I give the syndicate a good reputation. Everyone knew this... I wondered what Maggie was told. I wonder what she thinks of me. Probably that im a traitor. I turned my back on Salvo and for what? I wish I talked to Walter about it more but learning of her death was too much... and now learning she's alive...