Chapter 2: First contact

Shanxi, New Yangtze system

November 16th, 2965 (UNC)

VSS Comtumica

"All fleet assets and units, go or no" Admiral Vorpona said over the comms.

"(Comms) Science fleet is a go." Dr. Vortunz reported.

"(Comms) UNSA fleet is a go." Admiral Limburn reported.

"(Comms) UNSA and VSS marine assets are good to go." General Williams reported.

"(Comms) VSS Naval fleet is a go." One of Vorpona's subordinates reported.

"(Comms) Support and construction ships are a go." a vice-admiral reported.

"(Comms) Army, SOCOM, Crusaders, and engineering teams are a go," Ross reported.

"(Comms) Escort ships reporting 100 percent effectiveness." someone reported.

"(Comms) Reinforcement and response fleets are on standby." one of the admirals who was staying behind reported.

"All ship and fleet assets are ready." one of the subordinates reported.

"Excellent." Vaarpona activated the comms and spoke

"All hands, this is Admiral Vorpona. Today marks a new age in the history of the Galactic Commonwealth. For too long we have stayed behind in the comforts of our defences and fleets. It is now time that we follow in the steps of our ancestors and explore the galaxy at large. It is time we stop pointing our guns at everything that moves and move to face the unknown face to face. May those above us watch over our journey as we set sail into the unknown."

(Note the best speech, I know. Could be better but I'm terrible at speech writing).

After several minutes, the ships were in position.

"Coordinates marked for Jump. Drives are ready." the navigator reported.

"Very well. All ships, on my mark. Jump!" Vorpona ordered.

In a flash, nearly a thousand vessels of the 4th expeditionary fleet disappeared, preparing to mark a new age in the Commonwealth's history.

System G-4958

360 lightyears away from Shanxi

In a desolate star system, on the outer edges of Citadel control space and far from where any known ships travelled, a massive flash of light appeared and the 4th Expeditionary fleet emerged in mere seconds.

"Report" Admiral Vorpona yelled.

"Systems Green, Shields holding, no damage to the hull, engines, weapons, fabricators, all green." Sharma reported. "All VSS ships have reported no damage or problems."

"Aurora reports that the UNSA fleet has no issues as well. Guess science fiction was wrong, nothing went bad on our first jump." one of the officers remarked.

"Alright, hold the beer until we get settled down. Have the science ships start surveying the system. This should take only a few hours. Have the carriers each deploy some Trident fighters to guard the science ships and to conduct patrols." Vorpona ordered.

After several minutes, over a hundred fighter craft and the 8 science ships were deployed and began to scan the system.

"Sir, isn't deploying strike craft overkill?" One of his subordinates asked.

"Maybe, maybe not. I rather not have a repeat of the Hictaro incident. I went something to guard those vessels and sending corvettes or destroyers may be overkill. Fighters are not," Vorpona replied.