Chapter 4: Invasion Commences

January 3rd, 2966 UNC /2173 CE

Batarian Colony of Logasire

FCV Light during the WInter

5th Expeditionary fleet, UNSV Wasp Battlegroup

"(Comms) This is Shadow flight, we've returned from our recon flight. Hostile numbers haven't changed."

"Copy Shadow, land, refuel, and get some rest." one of the Light During the WInter's aerospace traffic controllers replied to the stealth fighters.

Lord Admiral Zortale looked to his Solarian/ ground pounder counterpart. "So, your opinion?"

"Let's see, at least 10,000 pirates and slavers armed to the teeth, and a couple of squadrons of strike craft, along with an armoured regiment backing them up. And a bunch of slaves stuck in the middle. "Sounds like a job for the 2309th. I take my troopers over a bunch of under-armed slavers."

Zortale laughs. "Good! We tested some of their weapons, mass accelerators they call them, on our own shields before you got here. Your forces all have shields so they are fine. And their armoured vehicles are no match for your Liberator tanks. And these dreadnaughts stand no chance against our ships."

"Thank god we have both Kinetics and plasma weapons. So what's the plan?" Ross asked.

A hologram opens up the planet Logasire and its orbit. Originally, the plan was to attack the planet of Lorek but it was deemed too large for any large-scale raid (Lorek has a population of 4.7 million, the combined deployable ground allied force is around 50,000 personnel). The world of Logasire however was home to many slaves and supplied the world of Lorek with minerals. So the plan was shifted to first attack Logasire.

"This planet is scorching hot, nothing our shields, armour, and augments can't handle. Still, we shouldn't stay longer than half an Earth day. Scans show that most of the slaves are concentrated in a dozen mining zones and the total number of sentient life forms numbers 11,000, with a slave count number at 9,000. The slaves are mostly of the Asari, Salarian, and other Batarians, with a few Quarians, Turians, and Krogan. There's also a spaceport which houses both local amenities for the pirates and a couple of dozen transport, enough to get them to safety onboard our ships." Zortale says.

"Hmm, open surface mining. Looks like these four eyes care little about their workers. Vulnerable to airstrikes and a gas attack. What's their sensor and defence-grid like?"

"Reliant on the orbiting fleet. 4 of their cruisers and 3 dozen assorted escort craft. There isn't much in terms of permanent ground defence emplacements and what they do have is geared for anti-infantry. Most of these camps are reliant on either vehicle-mounted weaponry or infantry" Zortale replies.

"Great, and it's surprisingly flat so our tanks should do the job. We'll deploy Ranger and marine units to the camps using stealth dropships to get eyes on. Once your fleet smashes theirs, the UNSV Wasp will move in and deploy more reinforcements." Ross smiled.

"Good, my battlegroup will smash their fleet, a few rounds from our Kinetic artillery Batteries should do the trick. Your carrier battlegroup and its strike craft have more than enough firepower to deal with these pests. " Zortale responds.

"Hogs for the win. Arcturus gave us the go-ahead to hit hard, we don't need the Raloi to worry about a potential annoying neighbour. Let's get to work." Ross cracked his knuckles.

Logasire

January 5th, 2966

Observing a simple mining camp from a hill were two rangers. Coming from a long line of military personnel, they had caught the eye of Field Marshal Ross and were brought along on the expeditions. These were Staff Sergeant John and Sergeant Jane Shepards.